How to create playable tempo expressions

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by dankreider » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:33 am

I've been using a template for several years that I put a lot of time into tweaking. I want to start using "Export Audio" to create simple demos. All good for dynamics and tempo markings, but I long ago deleted the original "rit" and "accel" marks. I've since added my own, but text-only - no HP effects.

I assume the original ones actually sped up and slowed down the tempo slightly in Human Playback. How can I re-create them with their respective playback alterations?

Thanks!
Dan
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:44 am

I suppose that the original "rit" and "accel" marks were expressions?

In your template, what music font is chosen as Default Music Font?
In this example let us say that the template’s Default Music Font is the Maestro font.

Open your template, and go to
File menu > Load Library…
Finale will display a directory dialog box showing the Libraries folder.
Go to the folder Maestro Font, and load the library “Expressions.lib”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by dankreider » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:24 am

Thanks, Peter. I see the library loading. It looks like playback effects on "accel" are set to "None." How do I make changes to that expression for HP?

Thanks,
Dan
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:48 am

dankreider wrote:… It looks like playback effects on "accel" are set to "None." How do I make changes to that expression for HP?…
If I understand you correctly, Human Playback does not recognize the expression “accelerando”, and HP does not play an accelerando, right?

HP should recognize the accel. text, even if the expression’s playback definition is set to “None”.

Check the settings in the dialog box Human Playback® Custom Style.
In the pane Interpret, is the option “Tempo Changes” selected or de-selected?

Quoting the manual:

Tempo Changes. When checked, accelerandi and rallentandi are processed. Tempo changes added as text expressions or Smart Shapes are interpreted. When a Smart Shape is used, such as a hairpin, the duration of the effect is dictated by the length of the Smart Shape. When an expression is used, Human Playback uses the following factors to guess the duration of the tempo change: whether it is the end of a movement, near a fermata, near an expression tempo change, near an "a tempo" expression, or near a subsequent rall or accel. When none of these clues is available, Human Playback decides the duration on its own (generally not more than 2 measures). Generally speaking, Human Playback uses linear model for tempo changes. The number of steps depends on the actual time involved.

The effect depends on the context: slowing down from Presto is not the same thing as from Andante.

The effect also depends on the Rubato slider.

See Human Playback Dictionary for a complete list of words Human Playback understands. Note that Some wording is ignored (has no effect) including: poco a poco, peu à peu, nach und nach, little by little, sempre, toujours, always, and immer.

Other wording intensifies or softens the effect including: molto, moltissimo, moltiss, très, beaucoup, much, più, un poco, poco, pochissimo, poch, un peu, légèrement, etwas, a little.”
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996