TIP: Remove all abbreviated Staff Names

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:40 am

I usually want my scores to show Full Staff Names at the start, and for new sections; but I don't want abbreviated names cluttering up every margin. I've been racking my brains for a way to Keep the Full names but hide the Abbreviated ones, without having to put Staff Styles all over my scores, or edit each name box in turn.

So a tip of the hat to MM staff, who pointed out that you can simply select all the Abbr. names in one system, right click and de-select "Show". That will remove them for the whole document.

As with so many things: it's only obvious if you know it. :?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:47 pm

You could also, in the score Manager, leave the abbreviated name empty.
When you need the full name again, two ways :
1 : Measure attributes : check the box "Show full staff & group names" (it works for the whole "stack")
2 : Staff style (for one or several staves)
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:56 pm

michelp wrote:You could also, in the score Manager, leave the abbreviated name empty.
When you need the full name again, two ways :
1 : Measure attributes : check the box "Show full staff & group names" (it works for the whole "stack")
2 : Staff style (for one or several staves)
Yes, but the Setup Winzard auto-populates the name, so you've got to go through a text box for every staff in the Score Manager.

Jari has a plug-in that indents systems with Show Full Names set, which is useful for new sections. Though I keep forgetting to Force Show the Time sig....