is there a way to import a list of expressions?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Is there a way to import a list of expressions and their categorizations from another file?

I'm working on a score I started maybe twelve years ago and abandoned because it had technicalities that were beyond my ability at the moment. I don't remember exactly what version of Finale I was running. Yes, it's been upgraded to a .musx file.

When I started adding expressions, I quickly found that most of various classification tables that exist are empty. When I click the Show All tab, I do get a list of perhaps 35 items, including all the standard dynamics (ppp ... fff) but only a few others. And I've had to make up a few of my own that should be standard.

When I started to relearn Finale about three weeks ago, I started with an old and relatively simple string quartet I wrote at age 17. When I brought up the expression list, I had a large list of stuff in every tab. I just assumed that all of that was available in every new document, but perhaps *not* in one that is based on a file that I first created a long time ago?

Is there anything I can do about this? I shouldn't have to twiddle around with inventing terms and meanings for expressions like crescendo and accelerando.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:08 pm

You can create a Library out of one file and import it into another. I believe the term Finale uses is Load it into a document.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Zuill, thank you again.

It took a little figuring out, but that worked. What a relief!

The Save Library item brings up a popup with perhaps a dozen different choices. None of them say just "Expressions". But I tried the one that says "Text Expressions" I think. Saved it, then had to re-figure out where the saved file was, then loaded it from the score I'm working on.

Voila. I've got a bunch of stuff in there. Thank goodness.

I'm guessing that shouldn't be as much a problem going ahead. The first score I worked on was brand new, created from Finale 25.4, as most of what I do in the future will be. Apparently between the version I was using way back when and version 25 they have supplied a lot more stuff to start with in the expressions library.

Once again life is good. Thank you very much Zuill.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:14 pm

lynndavidnewton wrote: The first score I worked on was brand new, created from Finale 25.4, as most of what I do in the future will be.
Make a template out of it. Life will be good! :)
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.