beams across rests

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm embarassed to ask this, but I've been unable to find the solution.

How do I extend a beam over a rest? For instance in a 6/8 bar I have two groups of three in the typical pattern note-rest-note, note-rest-note and I want it to beam over each note-rest-note.

It's in the middle of a sequence of time signatures in quarters and eighths, e.g., 2/4, 3/8, 5/4, 6/8, etc. The music is simple, just eighth notes and rests, and I have explicit beaming requirements in the manuscript (written in probably 1960 at tle latest) that I'd like to keep, including across bar lines (which I've been able to figure out).

This is *not* a default method of beaming I want to set up, just something that applies over about twenty bars.

Surely someone can point out something that's simple, easy, and obvious.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Check to see how your time signature is set up for the 6/8 measures. In the dialog, it should not be "6 - eighth notes" but "2 - dotted quarters". Then you'll get the beaming you want.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:10 pm

What N said, but if notes have already been entered, in Simple Entry, you can able to move from note to note and press the / key to either make or break a beam manually. A good technique to remember. It requires some trial and error.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Also, if notes have already been entered, you may not see any immediate beaming change when you change the time signature
from

over
Eighth

to

over
Dotted Quarter

You can update the beaming with the beaming utility:
Utilities menu > Rebeam > …

You can even use the Rebeam utility without changing the real time signature - by re-beaming to a different time signature.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:39 pm

motet, I'm familiar with the / in Speedy Entry, but it doesn't work across a rest. At least not in this context.

N Grossingink, this doesn't quite work.

I have a sequence of five 6/8 bars, and the rhythm varies. This is a piano piece. In the left hand it's an ordinary 6/8 rhythm, two dotted quarter beats per measure.

The right hand is fairly standard 6/8 type stuff, but there's one measure that's sort of a hemiola, notes alternating with rests: note-rest-note-rest-note-rest, and I suppose I could unbeam them entirely, but that's not what I want. I want a single beam across all three. With the 6/8 being defined as two dotted quarters, it goes note-rest-note beamed together followed by rest-note-rest and the note is not beamed to the previous group. I want a single beam across all three notes with rests following. I experimented with changing it, but if I do, then the left hand, which is beamed in 3s, is broken up to three beats of two eighths.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Go to Utilities > Rebeam > Rebeam to Time Signature and rebeam as below.

N.
Rebeam.png
Rebeam.png (128.7 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:22 pm

lynndavidnewton wrote:motet, I'm familiar with the / in Speedy Entry, but it doesn't work across a rest. At least not in this context.
It will work from the note you want to beam to. It's sometimes squirrelly--you might have to hit it twice, or move away and back, but it will eventually do what you want. Usually it works the first time. A useful thing to master since, even with the right time signature definition, you might sometimes want something non-standard, like syncopation.
Attachments
0447.png
0447.png (48.52 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
0448.png
0448.png (53.53 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:58 pm

N Grossingink, I see what you're getting at, and it looks like it should work, but it didn't.
I probably didn't understand something about what to do there.

HOWEVER (don't rush to figure out what I did wrong!) ...

motet's simple advice to try again worked. I've also seen sometimes with the Speedy Entry tool if I work backwards through the measure, in this case doing the second connection before the first, it works better.

This was the last oddball beaming problem.

One more thing, though ...
(I feel like I should post this in another thread since I don't know the ins and outs of forum protocol yet, but the same people seem to be volunteering information.) ...

There's a problem with some cross bar beaming in playback. In all places where I have notes beamed from the end of one bar to the beginning of the next, the notes at the beginning of the bar under the beam do not sound on playback.

The notation is correct, i.e., as I want it, so I'm reluctant to break those beams just to get it to sound on playback.
Anyone know what might be going on?