Missing Text Blocks in linked parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

batneal
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by batneal » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:54 am

Hello All!

I am creating an arrangement that has a narration part for one piano, four hands. I have put in the narration text blocks, attached them to the proper measures, etc. But, they are only showing up in the Primo part, and not the Secondo. I've tried regenerating parts, creating a new part, etc. but every time, it only shows up on one. I've also tried unlinking and relinking from the score. I'm getting very frustrated.

Thanks!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:01 am

Measure attached text blocks are only attached to one staff. You will need also apply them to a staff in the secondo part. Hide the extra one in the score, but allow it to show in the part.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:08 am

The other way would be to use expressions assigned to a score list (like tempo marking). Nothing to duplicate if you do that.

batneal

Post by batneal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 am

Thanks guys! It was the staff problem. How silly. There should be an "all staffs" option-- or something along those lines. I don't want to use an expression because I'll have a bazillion of them (it's an entire narrative poem set to orchestration) and you can quickly adjust size of all the fonts, etc. with "select all" without affecting tempi markings, etc.

*phew* That was helpful.

Thanks again!

-Neal : )

batneal

Post by batneal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 am

It occurs to me I should have just added a "Narrator" line to the score and then created parts to include that. I may do it as a test to see how it looks. Hindsight is 20/20. : )

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 pm

batneal wrote:… I don't want to use an expression because I'll have a bazillion of them (it's an entire narrative poem set to orchestration) and you can quickly adjust size of all the fonts, etc. with "select all" without affecting tempi markings, etc. …
If you go the expression way, you can create a new expression category exclusively for the texts (you could e. g. duplicate the category Rehearsal Marks).
In that way you can adjust size of all fonts, &c. in all the texts at once, by editing the new category.
The other categories (and their expressions) will not be affected.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996