switch 2nds

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rjawad1
Finale Version: 27.4.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by rjawad1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi,

I'm working on engraving a score that is in 3/2 time. There are often measures in two voices where the upper voice is a dotted whole note and the lower voice is a half note followed by a whole note. There are no problems, except when a 2nd is formed between the upper and lower voices. Sometimes Finale will position the half note to the right of the dotted whole note, sometimes to the left. I can't figure out how it chooses.

The problem I'm having is when the half note gets put to the right. When this happens, the dot from the dotted whole note looks like a staccato mark on the half note. (See picture). In these cases, I want to flip the order around so that the half note is positioned left of the whole note. I tried using the 'note position tool' under 'special tools' to do it manually. Is there a better way to do it? And it seems that Finale will often override the manual adjustment. It may be because I'm pressing some autoformat option like command u (update layout).

Anyway, I was hoping there would be a button similar to flipping stems that can be used to flip seconds around.

Thank you,
--Ryan

I'm running finale 25.4 on a mac
========
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 9.38.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 9.38.20 AM.png (229.01 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
v27.4.1, mac

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm

As far as I know, there is no easy way or preference setting to take care of it. That's why I have the Note Position Tool, layer one, and layer two all mapped to hot keys!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:50 pm

I would move the half note rightwards and the dot a hair to the left. You can copy this to other locations (Filter: Notes and Rests & Dot Alterations) and use the Repitch Tool to change the pitches if you need to.

N.
Dot.png
Dot.png (204.97 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

rjawad1

Post by rjawad1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:21 pm

ok, thank you for the suggestions.
v27.4.1, mac

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Vaughan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:22 pm

When notating seconds, if the dotted upper note in layer 1 is on a line, Finale will place the note in layer 2 to the right because it won't cover the dot. If the dotted upper note in layer 1 is on a space, Finale will place the note in layer 2 to the left to avoid covering the dot. N's suggestion to move the layer 2 note slightly to the right is a good idea, although there isn't really any danger of confusing the augmentation dot for a staccato: when notating two voices, articulations should generally go on the stem side.
BTW, if you have your Music Spacing/Manual Positioning settings set to anything but Clear, Finale will, in certain cases, not correct the shift for seconds if you change the notes. In your example, Finale correctly moves the B-flat to the right. If you were to transpose both these notes up or down a second and then respace (with Manual Positioning set to Ignore or Incorporate), Finale will move the dotted C to the right, leaving the B-flat where it is and leaving too much room at the beginning of the measure. If you were to change the top note to a D, Finale will still leave the B-flat offset, even though it's no longer necessary.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

rjawad1

Post by rjawad1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Vaughan,

Thanks for the info. That is very helpful. I'm not having any problems with the dot being hidden by the staff line, but I wasn't aware of that rule. I switched them around so that the half note was on the left using the note mover tool, and they looked fine. However, after I saved and reopened finale, they were all messed up. Finale flipped them back, but left the extra space like you mentioned. In other words, it looks like it remembered where I put layer 1 but not where I put layer 2.

How do I make sure that finale remembers the note positions after I save-exit?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 12.24.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 12.24.49 PM.png (244.45 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
v27.4.1, mac

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Even if you have Spacing set to Incorporate Manual Positioning, the automatic setting for seconds will over-ride that when applying spacing. This is one of those things I wish Finale had an option for. You can turn off the setting for seconds globally, but chances are most places the setting works fine, as it does for me.

There are probably several ways to make this less frustrating. One way I use is so go into the Speedy Edit Frame and uncheck the option to have that note included in spacing (just the layer 2 note). That might work for this incident.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."