Losing multi measure rest edits

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

paulburrucker
Finale Version: 25.3.0.276
Operating System: Mac

Post by paulburrucker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:48 am

Finale 25.4.1.163
Mac OS 10.11.6
iMac Retina 5K 27-inch

Is there a way to preserve changes I make to multi measure rest widths without something changing all the edits back to the default widths? This has happened before to me before, and I've sorta been careful about not doing what causes the problem (e.g., not changing measure number settings after editing multi measure rests). The latest surprise deals with text repeats (I used Create Coda System, a plug-in). I'm editing my layout for one of my parts, and the D.S. al Coda text needed to be raised to avoid a crash with a multi measure rest number. I couldn't move the D.S. text in page view, I think because it lives in a non-first-measure of a multi measure rest, so the handles are not present. I found that merely going from page view to scroll view will render all my multi measure rest edits back to the default widths.

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Gareth Green » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:09 am

Go to

Document > Document Options > Multimeasure Rests > Options

Make sure "Update automatically" is unchecked.

But, be careful. Deselecting "Update Automatically" will mean that if you add music in scroll view to empty measures which are already incorporated into MM rests, your edits will not show up in Page View unless you manually break and recreate MM rests.
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

paulburrucker
Finale Version: 25.3.0.276

Post by paulburrucker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks, Gareth Green, for the help. I've been using Finale since 1988 and this is something for some reason I've never had to deal with. Frankly, I don't know why Finale would need to update a multi measure rest; if it's not default, it's because someone changed it. Anyway, it works!

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Vaughan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:25 pm

paulburrucker wrote:... Frankly, I don't know why Finale would need to update a multi measure rest ...
It's very handy if anything gets changed (like added notes or cues). Finale will change the MM rest accordingly. I've occasionally been caught out by this because I prefer MM rests to have proportional lengths and so I turn off Update Automatically to make this possible. If I then add notes or cues in the score, measures will disappear in parts, causing chaos. As it is now, I leave Update Automatically on until the very last minute, after which I turn it off and then run the JW Space Empty Rests plugin.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:08 pm

The problem is that if it has to update one multimeasure rest it updates every multimeasure rest. That's the problem they need to fix.

I don't generate parts until I've entered all the music, so I turn Update off. If I add a cue or something like that, then I manually regenerate that rest only by right-clicking on it. But one does need to be careful to do that.