Inserting and aligning a rest inside lyrics

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jonathancw
Finale Version: v25
Operating System: Windows

Post by jonathancw » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:22 pm

I am attempting to add a rest to a lyric line. Here is an example of a similar effect that I am trying to achieve...
Photo1.PNG
Photo1.PNG (7.55 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
I was able to figure out how to add the rest by doing the following (hopefully these instructions will help others trying to do the same)...

(1) Go to Lyrics-->Lyrics Window (or Ctrl-L)
(2) Place cursor at location where you want to add the rest and left-click to set
(3) From the Lyrics Window, select Text-->Font and change the font to Maestro (I also had to increase the font size)
(4) From the Lyrics Window, select Text-->Insert Symbol; locate the rest (or other symbol) to be used and click on "Select"
(5) You will probably need to add a space before and/or after the symbol; this can be done from Lyrics Window-->Text-->Insert Hard Space

While I can successfully get a rest inserted into the lyrics line, the vertical placement is wrong; the rest looks like it has a subscript effect to it. Here is an example of my output...
Photo2.PNG
Photo2.PNG (65.89 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
Changing the font size does not correct this issue and there appears to be no method to apply subscript/superscript effects on the text.

Has anyone had success with this and if so, how did you accomplish this?

Thanks...Jonathan

BTW...I am using Finale v25 with Windows 10

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Try using the character from the Maestro Times font. That's designed for use as text.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Try using the "Maestro Times" font for the eighth rest. This font is more compatible with your text font and will display on the same baseline. You can find the special keystroke in the Help Menu > Character Sets. 18 point size seems to look OK.

Mike beat me to it!

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

jonathancw

Post by jonathancw » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. Your solution worked and I could kick myself for not catching that myself.

Thanks again!!

jonathancw

Post by jonathancw » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:13 pm

N. Thanks for your response.