Grace note dynamics

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi all,

I have a phrase ending with a decresc. to p. Then comes a phrase at dynamic level f, commencing with 2 grace notes also intended to be played f.

I position the f dynamic under the first measured note of the second phrase, but of course the graces notes play back at p. If I position the f under the first grace note to make it work in playback, would that be good notation practice? According to Gould (p.130), one traditionally positions it under the first measured note, however she goes on to say that it is acceptable to position it under the first grace note, especially if there are many grace notes. I suppose I've answered my own question...! I wonder though, what was the thinking behind the traditional positioning?

Cheers,
Hector Pascal.

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:24 pm

Update: I think I know why the traditional positioning of the dynamic is under the first measured note and not the grace note: because it looks pretty unsightly if positioned under the grace note! I just tried it.

So, my next question is: Does Finale have an option that allows the grace notes to adopt the proceeding dynamic? I guess not.... Hmmm. (insert sound of crickets).

HP.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 pm

What happens if you move the dynamic so the attachment line points to the first grace note? As I understand it, the dynamic will take effect there. You can then reposition it wherever you want, but don't lose the anchor point.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:07 am

Gee, thanks N. After reading your post, I checked the finale manual and there is actually a sneaky feature that allows for the dynamic to take effect from a user-specified grace note number! Who would have thunk it? Here is the link to the manual:

https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fin ... ace%20note

Cheers,
Hector.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:18 am

I open that assignment window many times a day and never took note of all of the options, like the grace note playback. Thanks, Hector, for pointing it out.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:45 am

I may need to tinker with it a bit more as I have discovered that, while the attachment line leads to the grace note (using the grace note number option), the grace note isn't afforded the dynamic in playback. Well, sometimes it is, but not always?! Might be something to do with the Human Playback settings, too.

HP