playback of notes beamed across bar lines

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Using Finale 25.5.0.259 on Mac running High Sierra.

I recently did a score of a piece where a few notes are beamed across the bar line using
Patterson Plug-Ins => Beam ove Bar Line
In all cases the notes that are beamed across the bar in the "right hand" measure do
not sound on playback.

Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:05 pm

The plugin mutes the added notes (first measure overfilled) and the hidden notes in the second bar. You can unmute either set. I would recommend unmuting the notes in the second bar, as playback will be better. This can be done in the Speedy Edit Frame, or, more easily, with Jari's JW Change plugin.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:40 pm

zuill wrote:The plugin mutes the added notes (first measure overfilled) and the hidden notes in the second bar. You can unmute either set. I would recommend unmuting the notes in the second bar, as playback will be better. This can be done in the Speedy Edit Frame, or, more easily, with Jari's JW Change plugin.

Zuill
Sorry, but could you be more explicit regarding how accomplish this using both techniques?

I tried Speedy Edit and the first thing I tried was to press H (to unhide) although the notes themselves are not hidden.
This does indeed cause the notes to reappear, but the visual residue is a blob of multiple beams.
I must not know the magic key for this.

Using the JW Change plug-in, I don't see anything offhand that would apply.

I only recently installed the JW Change plug-in. It appears there's an enormous amount of potentially quite useful
stuff in there. I really must take some time to explore what it does RSN.

Thanks.

zuill

Post by zuill » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Since I can't see what your measures look like, it's hard to advise. In my test it was easy.

If you have 2 bars and the first bar beams to the second, with the Selection Tool, highlight the second bar. Then open the JW Change plugin, Under the Note Entries menu, choose Playback. Playback is selected by default. Hit Apply.

That should do it.

Zuill

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:26 pm

zuill wrote:Since I can't see what your measures look like, it's hard to advise. In my test it was easy.

If you have 2 bars and the first bar beams to the second, with the Selection Tool, highlight the second bar. Then open the JW Change plugin, Under the Note Entries menu, choose Playback. Playback is selected by default. Hit Apply.

That should do it.

Zuill
Indeed it does. I had created an extremely simple example exactly like you describe and that worked.
I just wouldn't have known to select Note Entries -> Playback.

Are these tools documented in the online manual somewhere?
I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately and am getting excellent support and information,
but I do try to find answers myself first. (Usually.) But there's so much to know and sometimes I'm
not sure even what to search on.

zuill

Post by zuill » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Jari's plugins are not documented in Finale's manual. I've been using them for years. I guess I just learned what they do through trial and error (probably more on the error side).

Zuill