Moving between windows

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

legitum
Finale Version: Finale v25
Operating System: Mac

Post by legitum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 pm

I have downloaded and am trialling Finale 25.
I would usually press command and tab to move between Finale and my playback software, except going back into the Finale window with this version seems only to bring the the palettes to the front but the score remains in the background.
I'm having to select Finale with the pointer from the dockbar on my mac.
Any tips welcome - I'm using Trancribe v8.70
Thanks
Andy
jazznote.co.uk

legitum

Post by legitum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 pm

...also going back into Finale and the mouse pointer isn't syncing with the note placement. Is this a known issue?
Doesn't seem great from an initial trial outing...
Thanks,
Andy
jazznote.co.uk

legitum

Post by legitum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:24 pm

...if having gone back into Finale I zoom in/out the cursor realigns. But when I go to other software and come back in again it is out of sync.
Andy
jazznote.co.uk

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 am

legitum wrote:I'm having to select Finale with the pointer from the dockbar on my mac.
Your Mac? Your signature says Windows.

On the Mac, you can switch windows within an application with Command ` (that's the little backwards tick, on my keyboard next to Z).

However, I don't see this on Finale 25.5 using Sierra or High Sierra. What version of MacOS are you on?
legitum wrote:...also going back into Finale and the mouse pointer isn't syncing with the note placement. Is this a known issue?
Using the mouse to enter notes is slow and finicky. If you familiarise yourself with the keyboard shortcuts for Simple Entry, you will be able to "type" your music in much more quickly.
Are you using any third-party mouse drivers? Logitech, etc? Unless this is a particular issue with Transcribe, which I don't use. Try rebooting, then load Finale and switch to some other application -- Garageband, or even Word -- and back. Do you get the same issues?

legitum

Post by legitum » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks for your reply. I've had a mac for a few years now so have updated my profile.

I'm not looking to switch between windows within an application but rather switch between two applications: Finale and Transcribe. It is when I come back into Finale that I am presented with the toolbar but not the sheet. I have to click on the dockbar to bring up the sheet. This worked fine through to Finale 2014, which I am thinking of upgrading from. It doesn't appear to work ok within v25, which seems odd. I'm not sure if its a bug with the programme or whether it is something specific to my setup. It is slowing me down a hell of a lot though.

No third party mouse drivers - just the MacBook touchpad.

I'll look into the speedy entry tool but have used simple entry for 10 years and its what I am used to.

I'm getting the same issue moving between applications besides Finale.

Is this unique to me on a mac?
Andy
jazznote.co.uk

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:34 am

legitum wrote:I'm not looking to switch between windows within an application but rather switch between two applications: Finale and Transcribe. It is when I come back into Finale that I am presented with the toolbar but not the sheet. I have to click on the dockbar to bring up the sheet. This worked fine through to Finale 2014, which I am thinking of upgrading from. It doesn't appear to work ok within v25, which seems odd. I'm not sure if its a bug with the programme or whether it is something specific to my setup. It is slowing me down a hell of a lot though.
Are you saying that the document window isn't visible at all until you activate it from the Dock? That sounds like you've Minimized the window. It shouldn't happen just by switching apps, though.
legitum wrote:I'll look into the speedy entry tool but have used simple entry for 10 years and its what I am used to.
I said Simple Entry, too! :lol: There are plenty of keyboard shortcuts with Simple -- definitely don't use the mouse to add notes.
legitum wrote:Is this unique to me on a mac?
As I say, it's not my experience, so it may be fixable at your end. I would test the behaviour in a brand new user account. If things work normally there, then you know that it's not a problem with the OS and the app itself, but rather it's something in your original user account. Go back there, and look over all the Login Items and other apps that are running, as well as System Prefs.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm

I am on Windows 10 Pro and not on a Mac. I recently went from two 27" monitors to one 34" monitor. At any rate switching between two or more open windows and back to Finale is clunky for sure. Usually the icons get all screwed up. Not that that helps you but you aren't alone! :o
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

legitum

Post by legitum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Thanks for your replies. I'll make sure i look into simple entry as well.
That's reassuring to know ebiggs1!
Andy
jazznote.co.uk

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:29 pm

legitum wrote:Thanks for your replies. That's reassuring to know ebiggs1!
Reassuring perhaps but not much help, sorry.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.