Unhandled exception caught

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Diego 22
Finale Version: 2011
Operating System: Mac

Post by Diego 22 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am

Dear Finale users

My version of Finale is Finale 2011 and my computer's operative system is MacOS High Sierra, 10.13.1

When I try to open a Finale file (.mus) I got a banner "Ungandled exception caught". The programm does not open. What can I do?

Many thanks for your help!

Diego.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 am

Someone will respond who is much better informed about this than me, but as far as I understand it Finale 2011 doesn't work correctly on High Sierra. ie You may need to up-date Finale to the current version to get round this.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:28 am

Diego 22 wrote:The programm does not open. What can I do?
Yes. Finale 2011 does not work on the latest version of MacOS. You best option is to upgrade to Finale 25: MakeMusic has been offering some good deals on upgrade pricing recently. The whole app has been updated to 64-bit, and there are many new features and bug fixes included since 2011.

You could continue to use 2011 in a virtual machine, running an earlier MacOS version inside a software environment. Parallels Desktop Lite is available free on the Mac App Store.
You could also try downgrading from High Sierra to an earlier version of MacOS, but you might find that other, newer apps don't run on older OSes! Also, if High Sierra has updated your hard drive to the new APFS disk format, downgrading is more complicated than normal.

Progress! :lol: Nothing stands still.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
Diego 22 wrote:The programm does not open. What can I do?
Yes. Finale 2011 does not work on the latest version of MacOS. You best option is to upgrade to Finale 25: MakeMusic has been offering some good deals on upgrade pricing recently. The whole app has been updated to 64-bit, and there are many new features and bug fixes included since 2011.

You could continue to use 2011 in a virtual machine, running an earlier MacOS version inside a software environment. Parallels Desktop Lite is available free on the Mac App Store.
You could also try downgrading from High Sierra to an earlier version of MacOS, but you might find that other, newer apps don't run on older OSes! Also, if High Sierra has updated your hard drive to the new APFS disk format, downgrading is more complicated than normal.

Progress! :lol: Nothing stands still.
Unlike many other apps, it makes no difference whether the drive is formatted APFS or not — I tested this. Not only does it not run in 10.13 but a new install will not authorize in 10.10 or later.

Finale 11 must be installed in OS 10.9 or earlier. It will then work if the OS is updated through OS 10.12 with limitations. Human Playback, resizing tool palettes and other tools may cause problems —YMMV.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:36 am

MikeHalloran wrote:Unlike many other apps, it makes no difference whether the drive is formatted APFS or not — I tested this.
I wasn't talking about running Finale 2011 on APFS, but about the added difficulty of downgrading from High Sierra with APFS in general.