Articulation tool stopped working

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:38 pm

While I write each piece using the same settings and follow the same procedure for entering notation, Finale presents me with a new problem every new composition. There seems to be no end to the problems. Now the Articulation and Expression tools ceased to function.

Can someone more knowledgeable take a look at the attached document and see what might be causing the problem described? If you can get the Articulation tool to, say, enter a fermata, then doing so would indicate that my installation of Finale is in its last death throe, and I will need to re-install the program.
Attachments
Ecos de Almería.mus
(170.92 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm

I had no problem adding articulations.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Works fine for me, too. I occasionally have the same problem, and find that a manual Update Layout (Utilities Menu) usually does the trick. If not, try quitting and restarting Finale, or even the computer itself. I might be wrong, but reinstalling the software shouldn't ever be necessary.

Chin up, and be well.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:43 am

N Grossingink wrote:I might be wrong, but reinstalling the software shouldn't ever be necessary.
Rarely, perhaps. The files that the installer writes to the disk are mostly read-only, which shouldn't get re-written or altered (unless your disk's integrity is failing). Problems are much more likely to come from other parts, like the Finale.ini files and Registry keys (on Mac, it's the plist files); as well as the user's configuration files. The installer doesn't touch these, AFAIK.

Djard, it might be worth trying a completely clean install of Windows and Finale (on another volume/partition?) and see if you still get these problems. That might at least rule in/rule out the scope of the issue.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 pm

I agree with N. Anytime something stops working, restart the computer. Fixes it most of the time.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:35 am

None of the steps worked for me, so I gave up for a few days as an alternative to having a conniption and corroding the epithelial cells in my coronary arteries with elevated NE. I then rebooted my system. The Articulation Expression tools still did not work. After spending a few moments seriously entertaining the unhappy thought of switching to Sibelius, and for a reason unknown to me, I (illogically) restarted Finale again, for the fifth or sixth time. All the tools now work, in every one of my documents.

Without the altruism of folks at this forum, I don't believe I could finish writing anything for classical guitar with Finale, the most wonderful but flaky piece of software I have used in 30+ years.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Djard wrote:After spending a few moments seriously entertaining the unhappy thought of switching to Sibelius,
Of course you are free to switch to Sib but I guarantee you it is not without its own faults. Since Finale works not just OK for the vast majority, actually very well for most of us, a look at your specific situation (computer, perhaps) will be more productive. I know it is extremely frustrating when things don't go as planned but you do need to look in the right place for the issue.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:07 am

Yes, I believe you are correct. I will stick with Finale as the problems at the Sibelius forum are not unlike those of Finale. Unfortunately--to the best of my knowledge--there is no notation software available that accommodates the needs of a classical or flamenco guitarist. Once writing polyphonic phrasing on a single staff system and adding customized articulations/expressions (alien to Finale but standard in classical guitar music), Finale falls apart. When I write for orchestral instruments, Finale behaves quite nicely.

Many, many years ago I asked MakeMusic if a guitar version might be in the works. I received a response, adamant that Finale already supports classical guitar music. Whoever responded was indeed ignorant. To date, the same hold true. The booklet accompanying my version (2012), has a young man on the cover holding a steel string acoustic guitar. He is probably a model or a strummer. The intimation of the cover borders on fraud.

So unless writing elementary works--using multiple staves in not an option--I will have to accept the limitations of music notation software. This reality makes me all the more grateful for the kindness and patience of folks at this forum.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:02 am

Whoever responded was indeed ignorant.
I sometimes wonder if they know anything about writing music or are just programmers! :D
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:32 am

Well, I wouldn't expect a programmer to be intimately acquainted with any music instrument; but logic dictates that whoever is in charge of programming would at least consult an educated composer for the target instrument. If MakeMusic did get some input from a guitarist, he or she played only monophonic rock or was a beginner...a shame because many classical guitarists would gladly lend a hand without charge.

stevedz
Finale Version: 2016

Post by stevedz » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:57 pm

This was the solution to my problem. Dynamic expression tool was not working. Did "update layout" and it came back.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:43 pm

Was Automatic Update Layout on or off?

bix5674
Finale Version: 26.2

Post by bix5674 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:20 am

Greetings:

I am a long time Finale user, but new to this forum.

I have recently finished an original piece for six trumpets and after editing the parts, printed each to Adobe PDF. I have been doing this for years without issues, but this time both the Finale file and PDF reverted to a "less" edited version. In each individual part, I had to create duplicate rehearsal letters for each of the four movements of the piece. The first two movements were fine, and, I had edited the last two movements to correct rehearsal letters, such as the first letter being "G" instead of "A."

After I corrected the Finale part and printed to Adobe PDF, the part automatically opens in Adobe. I checked each newly opened file and all of the rehearsal letters were correct. After I closed the PDF file I attached all of them in an email to the group that will premiere the piece in a couple of weeks. Low and behold the attached PDF's had the incorrect rehearsal letters, and, I opened the musx files for each part and somehow they had reverted to the incorrect rehearsal letters as well.

I went through this process twice as one of the players alerted me to the PDF's with the wrong letters. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this or a suggested solution?

Many thanks,

Greg McLean
Trumpet player/Composer/Arranger
Atlanta, GA (US)

motet

Post by motet » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:05 am

Can't think of why, only: forgot to save, or accidentally revered or did an Undo.

You can, by the way, use a single set of rehearsal marks and restart the sequence one or more times.

rbaker13
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520

Post by rbaker13 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:54 pm

I'm having this problem as well - all the articulations appear to be randomly stuck.

1. The glissando tool was stuck on when using SmartShape earlier. Clicking any item on the toolbar is of no use, only glissandos were created. Now I'm getting an invisible line with an "H" in the center.
2. Using the Expression tool gives only a single dynamic - it was "pppp" for a while, now it's "ffff."
3. The Articulation tool is currently giving me "1" no matter what I try to select - either by clicking while holding down a number or double-clicking to make a selection. It also randomly chooses other items to assign at times.
4. Restarting Finale doesn't help - I've restarted multiple times. Occasionally after restarting the SmartShape will work momentarily, but selecting another tool will break everything again.
5. Rebooting also doesn't help - I've tried that a couple times.
6. I've checked and I don't have any stuck keys on my keyboard.

It was working perfectly earlier today - I took a break for a couple hours, and now it's toast.

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:42 am

If the problem you describe appears only in your current documemt and not in a new, default document, the ultra delicate library file might be the cause. Below are some things you can try. When done, unfortunately, some of the settings will need to be edited, like number of measures per stave, fingering (numbers might drift), added text might be missing. But you can open the corrected document along with the defective one, tiled horizontally and use the old one for reference when auditing the new.

If you save the file with a different name and are not satisfied, simply delete it: you will still have your original.

OPTION 1

1. Save the document as a MusicXML file, which will purge the corrupted formatting.
2. Open the XML file and save it as a *.musx file. This should resolve the problem.

OPTION 2

1. Delete all the items in Articulations, Expressions and Custom Lines.
2. Load your backup of a library file. If you don't have a backup, load the default library file. Use your file manager to locate a copy.

OPTION 3

As a last resort, you can remove Finale, including its footprints in the registry then reinstall. But I doubt this option will fix a corrupted file. The MusicXML option should work.

rbaker13

Post by rbaker13 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:05 am

Thanks, Djard,

I exited and took a break for a couple hours, then when I tried later, everything is working perfectly again. Your idea of a corrupted file sounds like a good possibility - I'll keep your suggestions handy because I suspect I'll need them eventually. I'll post again if the gremlins return.

I appreciate the quick response!

Rick

rbaker13

Post by rbaker13 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:44 pm

As I suspected, the issues returned again when I resumed editing yesterday. I was able to enter notes so I completed the score with no articulations, dynamics, etc. on the new parts, then saved as an XML. (FYI - I exited and restarted Finale between each step below.)

1. Exiting and restarting Finale, then opening the XML file, has the same results - none of the articulations will work. I also opened a "clean" file that I had created months ago and the same problems exist. (I don't think it's a corrupted file issue, but...)

2. I next stripped all the articulations, dynamics, etc. from the file and saved it with a new name. Then I exported as an XML, closed Finale and opened the file - same results. (I also tried double-clicking the XML file from a file folder to launch Finale - no difference.)

3. I proceeded to create a new blank document and copy all the parts from the stripped XML version to it. With both documents open (the imported XML and the newly created document open) the problem persisted.

4. I thought it possible that having two documents open, one possibly corrupt, might be causing the problem so I closed Finale and opened ONLY the newly created document. Things actually worked correctly for a while, but then started acting up again later.

I think I've exhausted all the corrupt file possibilities and my only option now is to uninstall / reinstall Finale.

Thanks,
Rick

Djard

Post by Djard » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:45 am

Did you update the layout?

It might be useful to rule out the file issue. Upload a problematic document for us to examine. If you feel uncomfortable sharing work that you have yet to copyright, just upload the first page, with just a few measures. In the latter case, make sure the problem still exists.

I remember deleting some 20 pages, only to find that a similar problem disappeared. I then discovered that I had too many notes in a measure on one of the pages. Disabling auto fill of rests allows me to write tuplets on the last beat in a measure, but one slip and pandora's box gets opened.

rbaker13

Post by rbaker13 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:26 pm

Yes, I updated the layout early in the process - I forgot to note that - it didn't help. I'm happy to share the file - it's just a public domain march I'm transcribing. At 283K the file size was too large so I reduced it to the first page.

The issues come and go - after reducing the score to the first page the problems were still occurring. I exited / reopened Finale and opened the reduced part- all was working correctly. Exiting Finale again and reopening, however - the issues are back.

Thanks, again!
Attachments
Kansas March - Concert Band - reduced.musx
(179.64 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

motet

Post by motet » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:01 pm

rbaker13 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:54 pm
2. Using the Expression tool gives only a single dynamic - it was "pppp" for a while, now it's "ffff."
3. The Articulation tool is currently giving me "1" no matter what I try to select - either by clicking while holding down a number or
6. I've checked and I don't have any stuck keys on my keyboard.
This really seems like a virtual stuck key to me. I'm not sure it's something you can check. This is caused by Windows not seeing the key-up signal when you lift the key. If you can borrow someone's keyboard and try that, it would be a very good experiment. If it's a laptop, you can plug in a USB keyboard.

The expression ffff and the articulation 1 both have metatool 1 by default, so that's likely the key that was stuck at that point. If that happens again, try pressing and releasing 1 a few times. pppp is a 0. You could also try pressing all the keys, I guess.

Since this is happening often and rebooting only works temporarily if at all, you may need a new keyboard. If you have some misbehaving external device plugged in, that's also a slight possibility. Try another keyboard if you can.

Updating the layout is unrelated, as are the articulations themselves.

rbaker13

Post by rbaker13 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:01 am

I swapped out the keyboard, but no effect. I then unplugged the few peripherals I have - printer and external hard drive - still no effect. Finally, I swapped out the mouse and, I'm sorry to say, the problem persists. Things worked momentarily after each of these steps but returned eventually.

I've noticed a couple times that when selecting the SmartShape tool, the slur item was selected by default and would work properly. Switching to the crescendo item, it would break things. This may be a coincidence, but I thought I'd mention it.

Reinstall next? Maybe try a downgrade to a previous version?

motet

Post by motet » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:12 am

I guess resetting your preference file (a source of bugs, apparently) is worth a try first:

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

It sure sounds like a virtual stuck key, though.

rbaker13

Post by rbaker13 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:20 am

I reset the preference file and as before, things work for a while but eventually stop - especially after changing tools. (SmartShapes were working, but changing to the Expression tool caused the issue to return.) I think I'm going to sleep on it and take it up again tomorrow.

I should add that I didn't leave it at the default settings - I prefer the laptop layout (never learned the 10-key entry) so I made that change.

I'd like to say that you guys on the forum are great - taking time away from your Easter weekend to help me with my little problem. I know we'll figure it out eventually. Thank you!

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:45 pm

I don't know the solution to your problem but I did the "Kansas March" almost ten years ago. The KU University band played it. Finale worked as expected. So it will work when you find the cause.