Measures expand too far while using Speedy Entry

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

msl
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by msl » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:03 pm

I use Finale 12 on Windows 8.1, as I have for several years. My computer is a Dell desktop, with Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7570

Recently, whenever I use Speedy Entry, the measure expands out of proportion. I constantly have to stop and adjust the spacing. Otherwise, I end up with a system with one giant measure. I then have to use both the music spacing tool and the CTLM spacing tool too restore the page. This happens in every measure now. I've looked through all the Measure Tool commands and there's nothing to address this. It really slows me down and it has come up out of the blue. This has been going on for a while, so it's no longer a temporary glitch. It doesn't matter if I restart my computer.

Please advise

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:38 pm

It sounds like your music spacing settings are too wide (the spacing is automatically updated to the settings in Document Options as you enter music). Many users enter the raw music in Scroll View - have you tried that or is that what you're using? You refer to the "CTLM spacing tool". I don't know what that is - I'm just not familiar with the terminology you're using.

If you're entering music in Page View, you might try locking the systems with 3 or 4 measures each. That will limit the amount a measure is able to expand. It might help if you attach the file here so we can have a look. You can delete all music if you like.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:40 pm

At the very least, I would ignore all spacing until you've got all the notes in. Then Fit Music and adjust as necessary. That's going to save a lot of messing about.

But as N. suggests, it does sound like something is off with your Spacing settings.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:37 pm

You might also want to work in Scroll View, which wouldn't have this problem, and worry about number of measures per system later (sometimes later measures influence spacing of earlier ones, so not a bad idea anyway).

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:25 pm

I've noticed that if you write very 'long' measures, f.x. 4/4 with a lot of 32nds you may be left with just one measure on one system due to the preset spacing. But perhaps this is not the problem?
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

msl

Post by msl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions. I was referring to the Fit Measures tool, which in Windows is CTRL-M on the keyboard.

My issue is that scroll view doesn't work for me when I have multiple staves and intricate rhythm. Plus, there's too much reworking to do later on. And I feel I should be able to work in Page View without this issue. I'm having this problem even when I want to have only two measures of 4/4 on the same system, and include only 16ths, 8ths and 4trs in a simple pattern. The first of the two measures starts expanding out of proportion after just the first four 16ths, and this is in a document that is set to 11 x 17.

I'll see if the Document Settings help but, because I've been using Finale 2012 for 5 years and this has just started this year, I think something else must be wrong.

Again, thanks.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:02 pm

You might try recreating the file FINALE.INI, which can become corrupted and cause odd behavior. To do this, quit Finale, then find FINALE.INI on your machine. I don't know about Windows 10, but in Windows 7 it's located in

C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2012\FINALE.INI

AppData is a hidden folder, so you'll need to change the Explorer option to show hidden folders. Move this file elsewhere (such as the desktop), then run Finale and see if the problem is fixed. If not, quit Finale and move the saved FINALE.INI back. If that does fix it, your personal preferences will have been reset to the defaults, and you'll have to fool with that.

msl

Post by msl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanks. That worked. This has been bugging me for months and just recently got worse. What a relief.