Explode Music Help

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Gary Fagan
Finale Version: Finale 27, Note Perf
Operating System: Mac

Post by Gary Fagan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Finale 25.5 on a Mac OS High Sierra.
O.K. I have a score with a second and 3rd Clarinet part combined on one staff. Sometimes there is a note for each part (2 notes stacked in the same layer) but other times the two parts are a2 (one note to be played by both sections. I want to explode this staff to create a separate 2nd and 3rd Clarinet part when I extract parts but when I explode the combine staff and split it into 2 staves, anytime the two parts shard a common note the new staff has a rest in place of the note. Is there a way to tell Finale to carry the single note to the new staff and also leave it in the original staff?
Thanks.
Gary

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:42 pm

This is the way I do it and have a lot of success:

√ Extract the Clarinet 2/3 part as usual.
√ Make a copy of this part.
√ Open the original and run the plugin "TG Tools - Process Extracted Parts". Make sure it's set to process "Voice 1" (the upper notes) and "Keep Single Notes" is checked. The resulting part will be your Clarinet 2.
√ Run the plugin on the copy you made, only set it to process "Voice 2" (the lower notes). This will be your Clarinet 3 part.
√ Note that if you have different rhythms in 2 layers, the plugin still chooses the proper voice and strips out the other.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3