Audio export countoff

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jazzmot

Post by jazzmot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 pm

I've included a countoff in my piece but when I export audio, the countoff is missing from the WAV file. Is there a way to tell Finale that I would like the countoff to be included in the exported audio? Thanks.
Finale 25
Windows 7 Pro

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 pm

3 ways I've used:

1. Add a percussion track just for the count-off.

2. Use an external recording program (I use Audacity) and record the wav in real time. Takes a while. That way the count-off will be there.

3. Add the count-off in a wav editing program (I again use Audacity).

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

jazzmot

Post by jazzmot » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:29 am

@zuill thanks for your reply.

I've tried suggestion 1. but in my particular case I need to print the score as well. Adding the percussion track makes this a bit cumbersome.

Suggestion 2. I'm not sure how to do that. Can you be more specific as to how I would record the WAV in real time?

Suggestion 3. I will try this in Audacity. It's an extra set of steps but sounds like it could work.

I would think it not to hard for the Finale developers to add a checkbox in the Click and Countoff dialogue that could read "Include Countoff in audio export". I mostly use Finale for teaching so having a countoff is almost always needed.
Finale 25
Windows 7 Pro

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:00 pm

How about a one bar pick-up, w/snare drum, then hide the Perc Staves?
Or make it an Instrument change, also for sax, w/Generated Part.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:05 pm

As far as recording in real time, I open Audacity while Finale is open. I choose the input option (whatever your sound card calls it) to record what the computer is playing internally (which is what Finale will be playing). I start recording in Audacity, then start playback in Finale. When the recording is finished, I trim the beginning silence off, then normalize, then save the audio (wav, or mp3, or whatever).

Zuill

P.S.: I just went to run a test on this, and discovered Audacity has a new version (2.2.1). So, I upgraded and then ran the test. Works like a charm. If it is a long piece, it will take the actual time of the piece to record. Otherwise, just do it the normal way (without the click) then open it in Audacity and add the click.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."