Insert Hard Hyphen (Part 2)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:15 am

I thought I'd start a new thread about the Insert Hard Hyphen command, as I've discovered quite a lot of things.

1. Not all fonts have another hyphen character that can be accessed.
2. If the current lyric font does not have another hyphen char to use (U+2010), Finale will select the En Dash (U+2013) IF "Substitute font for Missing Unicode Chars" is checked in Preferences.
3. However, MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) and 10.13 (High Sierra) seem to act differently. Hyphens in OTF fonts are not selected correctly in Finale running Sierra, but they are in High Sierra. TrueType fonts work correctly in both.
4. If the Preference setting is not checked, then you get a Unicode "Question mark in box" missing glyph character.

For instance, the TTF Baskerville font bundled with the OS will always display a hyphen correctly, whatever the OS, whatever the preference. Times will not, either showing an En-dash or missing glyph symbol. An OTF font like Minion Pro Regular will show the hyphen on High Sierra and the En-dash on Sierra.

Presumably, as fonts are cross-platform these days, some of this (except the Sierra OTF issue) should be equally applicable on Windows, though confirmation of the Windows experience would be useful.