fretboard diagrams are blank

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ClipHolverson
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by ClipHolverson » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:50 am

I have a moderate amount of Finale experience. I have only used guitar chords once or twice in the past and had zero issues with them. I'm working on a piece with guitar chords and things aren't going very smoothly. Chords names are present, but when I select "Show Fretboards" nearly all of them are blank. I tried restarting my computer (as that seems to solve some Finale issues). I tried loading the "Chord Suffix (times)" library. Nothing seems to help and I really don't want to enter every chord diagram manually.

thanks for your help,
Clip

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:56 am

Are they standard chords, or custom?

Can you post a file here?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ClipHolverson

Post by ClipHolverson » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:11 am

I think they are just standard chords, but I'm not a guitarist.
Attachments
Away in a Manger medley for guitar & vocals.musx
(175.82 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:01 am

I don't know what's up, but, if I delete them and re-enter, they work. I did notice that there seem to be two Seville libraries loaded. Aha, I thought! But I get the same results with either.

No need to put Maj. If a guitarist sees a capital letter chord with no alteration, it's major.
Attachments
Away in a Manger fixed.musx
(175.8 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:05 am

ClipHolverson,

Indeed the chord symbols look rather “standard”, but that does not matter.

What matters, is that your chord suffixes are not the document’s default suffixes, but rather they are new suffixes that have been created without fretboards (= their fretboards are blank).

In the palette Chord Suffix Selection you can see both the default suffixes (which have fretboards, by the way) and the new suffixes (which do not have fretboards).

The default suffixes are the first suffixes, from #1 to #114, and they have fretboards.

The suffixes from #115 and onwards do not have fretboards.

What I would do:
In the palette Chord Suffix Selection, select one of the suffixes at the bottom of the list (= those after #114), and click the button Delete.
Keep doing this until all the “fretboard-less” suffixes have been deleted.
Occasionally you will get a warning that the suffix is in use in the score, and you get the option of replacing the suffix with another suffix from the palette.
Replace the suffix with the similar suffix located among the first 114 suffixes.

When you are done, all the chords will have fretboards.

In some cases the default suffix has a different layout.
Example:
You have Maj (with uppercase M) while the default suffix has maj (with lowercase m).
To fix that, edit the default suffix in the Chord Suffix Editor, and replace the m with M
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ClipHolverson

Post by ClipHolverson » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:29 am

What you are saying makes sense in a Finale kind of way. I'm having trouble deleting the suffixes. Perhaps I'm not in the correct area.

I right-clicked on a fret-board, selected "edit chord definition", the clicked "select" under Fretboard ID:, I then selected "Select Suffix" and a list of 214 suffixes appears. There is no delete button on that screen. If I select a suffix, I'm taken to the previous screen where I see various empty fretboards. I'm probably missing something simple here.

Thanks for your help

ClipHolverson

Post by ClipHolverson » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:11 am

I'm getting warmer. I right-clicked on a fret-board, selected "edit chord definition", the clicked "select" next to Suffix:, The Chord Suffix Selection box and a list of 214 suffixes appeared. I was able to delete from that screen.

I've replaced most of the chord suffixes. I don't know what a "suitable" replacement for suffixes ending in "b" or "b5" would be. I see, 7(b5), 9(b5), 13(b5) and have no idea what the difference is. Any suggestions? Again, I'm really not a guitar player, my forte in playing is the piano.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:22 am

ClipHolverson wrote:… I don't know what a "suitable" replacement for suffixes ending in "b" or "b5" would be. I see, 7(b5), 9(b5), 13(b5) and have no idea what the difference is. Any suggestions? Again, I'm really not a guitar player, my forte in playing is the piano.
As a replacement for the suffix b5 try suffix #88 (= o).

For the suffix 7(b5) try suffix #26.

For 9(b5) try #48.

For 13(b5) try #54.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996