Changing abbreviated font sizes in new staff style

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

amkaluza
Finale Version: Finale 25.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by amkaluza » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi all,
I have been using finale for about two years now and have done a lot with percussion notation. I am currently trying to restore a percussion ensemble score for my university that got ruined in a flood several years ago and unfortunately this piece is now out of print. I figured this would be a great project to help expand my knowledge of finale. In the score there are multiple staff style changes in the instruments themselves (single line staff to two line staff to five line staff, etc.). Within these staff changes are instrument changes (obviously) and the original composer changed the abbreviated names of these staffs whenever the instrumentation changed. I have been able to change the staffs with no problem using the Staff Tool > Define Staff Styles > Apply Staff Styles. One issue I am running into is that whenever I need to change the abbreviated name with each staff style change it always shows as size 14 font. This causes problems because the names start to become longer with more instruments, which then causes the abbreviated names to run into each other vertically on the page. I have tried going to the tab Document > Document Options to change the text size to a smaller font size. I have tried the tab Plug-ins > Miscellaneous > Change Fonts and then changing the fonts there to a smaller font. No matter what I do the font for the abbreviated staff names in the Staff Style is always size 14. I know I could mess with the distance between the staffs and even the staff sizes but I would rather save that as a last option. It's very possible I am missing a step or that finale just doesn't have a way to adjust new staff style fonts yet. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Finale Version No. 25.3.0.276
Macbook Pro

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:08 pm

If you want the new ones to be different, that is changed in Document Options/Fonts/Text/Staff Names (abbreviated). The existing ones will still be the same size as when created. You can change each of those manually.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

amkaluza
Finale Version: Finale 25.3

Post by amkaluza » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Thank you so much! That did the trick!

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:54 pm

You can change the font of a Staff Name in a Staff Style.

Once you've brought up the "Edit" box to type the name in, you can select the text and choose a font and size from the Text menu.

Alternatively, you can use the JW Lua plug-in, and run the script in this thread to adjust the size of Full and Abbrev. Names separately.

http://www.finaleforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 00&p=45471