tempo expression in mid-bar

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 pm

I have a measure that begins with a ritard, in the middle declares a new tempo (1/8 = 58) and is followed by an accelerando.
All are set as Expressions.

The tempo change will only attach itself to the beginning of the measure, i.e. when I click on it
the little blue line extends back to the time signature.

It does allow me to place it exactly where I want it, but I assume that if it's attached to the beginning of the bar
that this will affect playback, right?

Is there something wrong with my thinking on this? How can I set it so that the new tempo takes effect
where I put the mark.

Someone might think it's possible to break the bar there, but as it is the rhythmic grouping is already offset
in left and right hands (it's piano music) by an eighth note. I'd have to rewrite it. It's easier to just live
without the exactly right playback.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Look at the Expression Designer window > Position tab. In the Horizontal positioning box, you will see other options.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:58 pm

For mid measure tempo changes, Use Tempo Alterations instead, and define a value Playback -> Type -> Tempo.
It will take effect at its position.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua