font kerning anomaly

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Vaughan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:47 am

Ever since Finale started supporting Unicode, for some reason Finale stopped recognising the font I'd used for a large number of files: R Stempel Garamond. For most of the files I chose to replace the font with Minion Pro. Often, however, I needed to retain Garamond and when running Font Utilities, it was marked as missing, although it was listed as Stempel Garamond which I could then select. I even made a macro to automate this process. Unfortunately I've just discovered that the kerning info is no longer recognised and I'm getting ugly letter spacing between certain capital and lowercase letters. Here's an example from a newly converted Finale file:
kerning off in Finale.png
kerning off in Finale.png (18.22 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
and here's the same from an old PDF I'd made several years ago:
kerning on in PDF.png
kerning on in PDF.png (2.85 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
FWIW, they are old Postscript Type I fonts and, AFAICS the afm files are present. Does anyone have an idea what's going on?
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

Knut
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Knut » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:53 pm

I've seen this with Type 1 fonts in recent versions of Finale as well. I don't know the cause, except that clearly Finale is unable to read the AFM files properly.
I also remember seeing a related oddity where Finale disregards the kerning if any tracking value is applied to the text. Do you have tracking applied in this case?

Generally, I've switched to using OT fonts, which seem to work fine in this respect.