How to make edits in linked parts and without changing score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Alex Rockwell
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by Alex Rockwell » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Finale 2014.5
Windows 10

I have a guitar quartet score all cleaned up and looking neat, and I'm neatening up the linked parts as well. Typically, after making the linked parts look clean, I extract the parts and begin adding fingerings. I do this because if I add fingerings in the linked parts, they appear in the score as well, and I prefer to leave fingerings out of the score because I feel they make it look too cluttered, fingerings in the score aren't really necessary anyway.

The drawback is when I run into a non-fingering related error in the extracted parts after I've gone through the trouble of cleaning them up and proofing them beforehand, and I have to go back and separately fix it in the score.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to insert items (fingerings made with the Articulation Tool in this case, but being able to add Text for movement titles would be good too) into linked parts without these items appearing in the score as well?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Alex Rockwell wrote:… What I'm wondering, is if there is a way to insert items (fingerings made with the Articulation Tool in this case, but being able to add Text for movement titles would be good too) into linked parts without these items appearing in the score as well?
Yes you can have an articulation or a text block showing in the part while hiding in the score.
In “Finale-speak” this is called “un-link”.

It is best done via the context menu.
In the context menu you have the option of un-linking.
Also, in the context menu you can select/de-select “Show”.

An unlinked item may have different position in score and part.
An unlinked item may have different Show/Unshow status in score and part.

General rules for linking/unlinking between score and parts:

1) Move an item (Text Block, Articulation, Expression, &c.) in the score, and it will also be moved in the part.
This step will not unlink.

2) Hold down the Over-ride key (= Ctrl in Windows Finale) to move an item in the score only.
This step will unlink.

3) Move an item in the part, and it will not move in the score.
This step will unlink.

4) Hold down the Over-ride key to move an item in the part, and also move the item in the score.
This step will not unlink.

When an item is unlinked, Finale will change its display color.

Geddit?

Even if the non-showing items in the score will not print, they will still appear appear on the computer screen, in pale color, to let you know that they are there.

If this obscures your view of the score (this could happen with a hidden Text Block), consider, not hiding the Text Block, but rather moving the Text Block outside the right edge of the page.
In that way the Text Block will not print, even if it is not hidden.
You can still see the Text Block if you zoom out.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:24 pm

While in the score, right click on the handle of the articulation(s).
1) Unlink the element
2) Uncheck "Show" (in score)

No need to extract parts, linked parts are preferable.

In the meantime, I see that Peter gave a more detailed explanation.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

japawka
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by japawka » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:59 pm

There is some show/hide (in linked parts and score) rules copied from Finale manual.

To hide or show an item in a part
Display the part containing the item you want to hide or show by choosing Document > Edit Part > [Part name].
Right-click and deselect or select Show, or select an item and press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+H.
To hide an item in the score (and leave it showing in parts)
Choose Document > Edit Score.
Right-click the item to display the context menu. While pressing CTRL, deselect Show.
To show an item in the score (and hide it in all parts)
Choose Document > Edit Score.
Right-click the item and deselect Show. This hides the item in the score and parts.
While pressing CTRL, right-click the item and select Show. The item is now set to show in the score but not the parts.
To show an item in one part only (and hide it in other parts and the score)
Display the part containing the item you want to show by choosing Document > Edit Part > [Part name].
While pressing CTRL, right-click the item and deselect Show. This hides the item in the score and parts.
Right-click the item and select Show. The item is now set to show in this part only.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:50 pm

You should be able to "lasso" many fingerings at once in the score with the mouse in the Expression tool and then hide them all with one operation.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:45 pm

or, Ctrl-A.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2

Post by Gareth Green » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:31 am

Another possibility (I've done this successfully in similar situations) is to create a dedicated expression category (can't do this with articulations, unfortunately) and apply all the fingerings as expressions from that category. The category can then have its staff list set to display in parts only.
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

Alex Rockwell
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520

Post by Alex Rockwell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Hey all, thanks for the advice. I've since started doing the linking/unlinking of specific items, hiding them in the score, and so on. It's great, but I've run into another issue.

If I place a fingering (as an articulation) on a note that has some other articulation already attached to it (such as a staccato or accent), then unlink the fingering in the part from the score and align it the way I like, hide the fingering in the score, and save and close the document, whenever I open it again, the fingering is relinked to the score, aligned in its default manner, and hidden in both the part and score. So I have to do all of the above again, but it keeps resetting itself whenever I open the document again. This only happens to fingerings on notes with another articulation attached. What gives?

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2

Post by Gareth Green » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:10 pm

Sounds like another reason to use expressions ...
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10