Flat symbol in "score" name

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:25 pm

I have an extracted part. I would like to use Insert Part/Score Name in text blocks and have it read "Trumpet in Bb & A", with a flat symbol. When editing the score name in the Score Manager, there's no way to insert a flat. The technique of inserting the score/part name in a text block and then editing and having the changes show up in the score name doesn't work for some reason: I can't move the cursor inside the text block, and if I instead select all and then retype type the name inserting the flat using the text menu (for some reason, Ctrl-Shift-F has stopped working), instead of changing the score name it just inserts that string into the text block.

I have other files with a flat in the score name, but I don't remember how I achieved it. Perhaps it can only be done with the part name before you extract it? Or just a bug peculiar to this file?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Instead of using
Text menu > Inserts > Flat
you can get the accidental by using (for the entire Name) a text font with the accidental.

* What text font are you using for the Name?

If it is a Unicode font, then the font does have a flat accidental, in the Unicode sector with musical symbols.

Also, you can use one of the text fonts that come with Finale, e. g. MaestroTimes.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 pm

I'm using Times New Roman--switching to Maestro Times is a good idea--thanks.