Apply to all staves

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

brent3544
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by brent3544 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 pm

For Finale 2015.5 - Windows 7.

My questions ...
(1) How do I make a quartet of 2 woodwinds and 2 strings and have all 4 parts swing?
(2) How do I make Finale apply tempo (and other) expressions to all instruments regardless of group?

Thanks from any help.

I tried to find the answers in the manual to no avail. So ... if the answer is to look at the tutorial or the manual, please tell me exactly where that info is. It would take a month to read it all. Here's some (the tip of the iceberg so to speak) of what I tried so far.

I created a quartet with 2 clarinets and 2 strings (viola and double bass) and entered all the notes for a short piece of music. Finale grouped the strings together and the winds together in 2 separate groups. Then I applied the tempo expression "swing" to the top (clarinet) staff. The clarinets played back in swing time, but not the strings (they were in straight time). I tried to add the swing notation to the string staffs (by clicking the expression tool on the viola staff, and also by using the assign button in the expression dialog box) but Finale just duplicated the swing on the upper clarinet staffs (strings still did not swing in playback). I then removed all the groupings using (staff menu>group and bracket) so all the staffs are in one group. Then I deleted and reapplied the swing notation. It only affected the upper two clarinet staffs. I tried all manner of other stuff (using "assign" within the expression dialog box, etc) to no avail.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:37 pm

brent3544 wrote:For Finale 2015.5 - Windows 7.

My questions …
(1) How do I make a quartet of 2 woodwinds and 2 strings and have all 4 parts swing? …
First of all:
This has nothing to do with staff groups.

From your description it sounds like you used the (default) swing expression from the expression category Tempo Marks, right?

Here comes the fix:
Document menu > Category Designer…
In the Category Designer, select the category Tempo Marks, and edit the category’s Score List
CategoryDesigner.jpg
CategoryDesigner.jpg (99.18 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
In the dialog box ScoreLists, in the column for linked parts, put a check mark on all staves.
(Yes, it sounds crazy that a setting for the linked parts will affect the playback in the score)
ScoreLists.jpg
ScoreLists.jpg (82.22 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
brent3544 wrote:… (2) How do I make Finale apply tempo (and other) expressions to all instruments regardless of group?
Some expression categories use a Score List (as described above).
The “Score List” categories are
- Tempo Marks
- Tempo Alterations
- Rehearsal Marks
- and all other categories created by duplicating and editing a Score List category

Other categories - such as Dynamics, Expressive Text, and Technique Text - do not use a Score List.
Such expressions only affect the staff they are attached to.
To make a such {without Score List} expression affect all staves, attach the expression to all staves.
You can hide/show the expression in score or parts as you like.
To make an expression show only in the part (and not in the score), you must first unlink the expression.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

brent3544
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by brent3544 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:22 pm

OK that did it - thanks. - Brent