no playback sound

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

george ports 33
Finale Version: finale 26.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by george ports 33 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:34 am

I can''t get sound on playback. Am sure it is the setting. It worked before. It works on all other programs but not Finale.
I use Win 2014.5.
Am sure this problem has been posted many times. Just not sure how to find the answer.
Any help will surely be appreciated.
Thank you,
George

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 am

This could be caused by any of a number of things, so the best thing is for you to send the file, or a sample file.

Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

george ports 33

Post by george ports 33 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Am going to try to include an attachment. Hope I can do it.
Thanks again for your help.
George
Attachments
Georgia CM with Coda from enc.musx
(94.57 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

I get playback. You've chosen piano for the sound, but it seems this is for guitar. Also, the repeat scheme is confusing, and it doesn't play back the route correctly. I'm not really sure about the coda, and where it actually is.
Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Like Zuill, I get (piano) playback.

Maybe go to the score manager and try a different device and/or sound, and make sure that the tracks aren't muted. However, if they were muted then they would have been muted on the file you posted.

Under MIDI/Audio go to Audio Setup and make sure the output is right.

On a brand new file does playback work? Or is playback muted on every Finale file?

Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

george ports 33

Post by george ports 33 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:54 am

It looks like the problem is the setup of my Bose SoundLink Mini speaker. It is a great speaker but, has always been finicky. I tried using a real cheap speaker that I have for testing and it worked.
I disconnected the cheap speaker and tried the Bose again to no avail. It isn't working on other sound programs either now. This happened before and I was able to bring in the sound in an Audacity song I did which played and then worked in Finale. So frustrating.
George

george ports 33

Post by george ports 33 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:00 am

A shut down/ restart of my computer solved the speaker problem. It works fine now but, not in Finale. Sure don't want to have to re install the Finale program again. Any other suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
George

Littlebeignet
Finale Version: Finale version 25

Post by Littlebeignet » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Hey I had this same issue on Mac. My Audio was set to Play Finale Through Audio Units. I hadn't changed any settings that I was aware of and it had just quit playing randomly. Restarting Finale didn't do anything. So I tried resetting the audio to Play Finale Through Midi and then BACK to Play Finale Through Audio Units. This worked for me. Another possible solution per The IT Crowd would be to simply try turning your computer Off and then On again... :P

entropysfo
Finale Version: v27

Post by entropysfo » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:49 am

If the "no sound" problem occurs on Windows 11, Finale sent me this fix which worked perfectly:

1. Close Finale
2. Hold down your Windows key (to the left of the spacebar, between the <Ctrl> and <Alt> keys) and type the letter "R" - this will open the 'Run' dialog box
3. Type "%appdata%" (without quotation marks) and click 'OK'
4. Navigate to MakeMusic\Finale 27 (*note: for older versions of Finale this folder name will show the version - ex: "Finale 2014.5")
5. In this folder, double-click the file named "FINMIDI.ini" - this should open the file in a text editor (e.g. Notepad)
6. Near bottom of the file until you see a section that looks like this:
[AUDIOAPIPREFS]
EngineLoaded=1
ASIOEnabled=1
DirectSoundEnabled=1
WASAPIEnabled=1
7. Make sure that the EngineLoaded value is 1, so that line should now read "EngineLoaded=1"
8. Change the ASIOEnabled value from 1 to 0, so that line should now read "ASIOEnabled=0"
9. Change the WASAPIEnabled value from 1 to 0, so that line should now read "WASAPIEnabled=0"
10. Save and close the file, then relaunch Finale to see if the issue has been resolved