pima and number aligning

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Sfardaklas
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Sfardaklas » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:09 am

Hello there friends. I would like to create exercises for classical guitar and I wonder if there is any way I can auto align pima points and numbers because right now I manually drag them and it takes a lot of time for a single page. I attach a picture with an example
asd.jpg
asd.jpg (68.83 KiB) Viewed 3773 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:25 pm

I suppose that you are using the Articulation Tool for this, right?

1) You can edit an articulation, and customize its positioning settings so that its default positioning is as you need it.

2) An articulation can still be manually positioned = you can manually adjust the position after you have entered the articulation.
This is probably what you have been doing.

3) If you add an articulation by clicking in the document window, then the articulation will be positioned where you clicked (= not at its default positioning).

4) There are two ways to put an articulation at its default positioning:

a. If the articulation has already been entered, and its handle is selected, then you can clear the manual positioning, by hitting the Backspace key. Hitting the Delete key will remove the articulation.
You can select multiple articulation handles, and hit Backspace, to move them all to default positioning.

b. If the articulation has not yet been entered, then program a metatool for the articulation. Hold down the programmed trigger key, and drag across the staff. Do not click, see 3) above.

(To program a metatool, hold down Shift and the desired trigger key, e. g. the number 1 key)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Sfardaklas

Post by Sfardaklas » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Yes I am using the articulation tool for inputting and I already knew that I can edit the properties by right clicking the articulation. The problem is that I select the articulation to be on top of the note for example but it does not go there so I have to manually drag it where I want it

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:43 pm

You might try creating them as expressions instead. I think that would give more control.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Sfardaklas

Post by Sfardaklas » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:48 pm

I thought so myself but still isn't the solution I am looking for. Now that you mentioned the expressions though can I ask how can I save expressions I create so I don't have to do it again on new projects?

zuill

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:52 pm

I just played with the articulations and it seems pretty to modify the definitions to get what you want. Maybe we need to have you attach a small sample for us to experiment with.

Zuill

Sfardaklas

Post by Sfardaklas » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:59 pm

The picture I uploaded on the beginning of this post is from a book. I want to create something similar in finale. For example I want all the finger numbers go automatically on the left of the notehead and the p i m a points above the notes (center of every note).

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Sfardaklas,

Take a look at the attached Finale document.

Is this what you mean?
Attachments
pimaNumbers.musx
(13.52 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

zuill

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 pm

As the demo of Peter's seems to be a good approach, this is probably better than expressions. You can save a library from this file to load into other files. I created a library from Peter's file as a demo. I tried to attach it here but the Forum does not allow the file type. Too bad.

Zuill

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:54 pm

zuill wrote:… I created a library from Peter's file as a demo. I tried to attach it here but the Forum does not allow the file type. Too bad …
My document was created from a Document Without Libraries.
There are no other articulations than my demo articulations.

Anybody can just download my Finale document, open it, and save an articulation library.
The library will only contain my demo articulations.

Another solution:
Compress the articulation library, and attach the compressed file here (which I just did) - since this forum allows attachment of compressed files.
Attachments
pimaNumbers.lib.zip
(883 Bytes) Downloaded 128 times

Sfardaklas

Post by Sfardaklas » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Hello again and sorry for the delay of my reply. The file you sent me is exactly what I wanted, I managed to create something by creating expression category and I load it when I need to. Thank you all for the help.