Importing selected expressions to a library

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by dankreider » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:22 am

I have a pretty customized expression library I've developed over the past couple years. It's familiar to me, and I don't want to go back to the default Finale library. BUT I'm missing a couple useful things...

...for example, I think I remember that the Finale default "rit" and "a tempo" expressions actually affected playback, but I don't have those expressions in my library. (not sure how that happened).

So for the past several years, I've had to rely on manual tempo map alterations, which is fine but time-consuming. I've tried to play around with creating tempo alterations via the shape designer, but it's a lot easier to just import the default ones.

Is there any easy way to find and import the default Finale tempo alterations, like rit, accel, and Molto rit?

Thanks!
Dan
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:52 am

I don't think the current default file expressions you mention use the old method of playback shapes. I checked my default file and no playback shapes there. HP interprets these symbols according to its programmed method, beyond our control.

If you do have expressions you want to load into another file, you can save a library with those. Or, another way is to copy a measure with them from one document to another, as far as I recall.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

dankreider

Post by dankreider » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:04 am

Zooly: that's fine, whatever method Finale uses will work for me, as I just need them for quick solutions for rit and accel.

Can you help me on how to do what you described? I don't know how to save a library.

Thanks in advance!
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly

zuill

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:17 am

In the File menu, there are 2 items: Save Library and Load Library. If you just want to load the default expressions, then there is a library already for that. Choose Load Library, then in the Maestro Font folder, there is an Expressions library. One thing that loading a Library doesn't give you are the metatools. You'll have to program those after loading.

Zuill

dankreider

Post by dankreider » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:21 am

zuill wrote:In the File menu, there are 2 items: Save Library and Load Library. If you just want to load the default expressions, then there is a library already for that. Choose Load Library, then in the Maestro Font folder, there is an Expressions library. One thing that loading a Library doesn't give you are the metatools. You'll have to program those after loading.

Zuill
Ja goot, but doesn't that erase my existing library? How do I merge the two?
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly

zuill

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:30 am

What it does is load the categories with expressions in them, so you'll see duplicates of the categories below the current ones. It leaves the current categories, with their expressions, alone.

Zuill

dankreider

Post by dankreider » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:42 am

Thank ye kindly!
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly