OT: notation of duplets/quadruplets in compound time

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 pm

I have a passage in 12/8.
In this passage there are beats here and there with 2 notes filling a single beat (dotted quarter value beat).
I ALSO have beats where there are four notes filling a single beat.

Finale lets me write a duplet of eighth notes to fill a beat, and it also lets me insert a quadruplet of eighth notes to fill a beat.
They BOTH look right to me. And yet, at the same time it is confusing to see two eighth notes take up a single beat, and four eighth notes take up another single beat.

16th notes look wrong for the quadruplet, and I'm assuming that they really are too small a value to fill the beat. so eighths would be correct for a 4plet.

does this mean that I have to change my duplets of eighths to duplets of quarters to fill a single beat?
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Michel R E wrote:does this mean that I have to change my duplets of eighths to duplets of quarters to fill a single beat?
Strictly, yes. In theory (but not always practice) a tuplet is supposed to add up to too much if it were not a tuplet. However, the most important thing is to be consistent - so either 2 eighths and 4 sixteenths, or 2 quarters and 4 eighths. Alternatively, you could use dotted non-tuplets, which is what I do (without question or complaint from performers).
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 pm

Elaine Gould talks about the compound-time considerations. "Traditional" notation would use eighths for the duplet and sixteenths for the quadruplet. "Contemporary" would use quarters for the duplet and eighths for the quadruplet. Personally, I use the former.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 am

I've gone with duplets of 8ths and quadruplets of 16ths.
I tried the other way and it was just too messy.
I also tried making the duplets into simply dotted 8ths and it was more confusing than anything.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:06 am

motet wrote:Elaine Gould talks about the compound-time considerations. "Traditional" notation would use eighths for the duplet and sixteenths for the quadruplet. "Contemporary" would use quarters for the duplet and eighths for the quadruplet. Personally, I use the former.
The context makes the difference.

In the « Orgel-Büchlein » by J. S. Bach, in the double canon over « In dulci jubilo », Bach used a “contemporary” notation - and the notation makes perfect sense in the context.

One canon is notated in 9/8 - three beats, each beat sub-divided into three 8ths.

The other canon - with the cantus firmus - uses a beat sub-division of two 4trs (as in 3/2).

In this context it is clear that the triplet 8ths - with one beam - are faster, while the duplet 4trs - with no beams - are slower.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 am

Interesting, Peter, thanks! I think I have a tiny Lea Pocket Score of the Orgel-Büchlein somewhere--I'll have to find it.