slash 6 figured bass

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

juliepiano
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by juliepiano » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:59 pm

I found the instructions for adding a slash to figured bass symbols in the finale numerics character map. In the examples, the slashes are all forward slashes. Elsewhere, I've only seen figured bass alterations with backwards slash (usually a 6), indicating to raise the chord tone a half-step. Are the symbols interchangeable, and if not, is there a finale character that has a 6 (or other numbers) with a backwards slash?
Julie Johnson
Owner, J. Johnson Music Publications
Author of Basics of Keyboard Theory, Ear Training Basics, and Guide to AP Music Theory

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:24 pm

Since the font doesn't have the character you want, I guess you'll have to add the slash manually with an articulation or a smart shape. An articulation would probably be the better of the 2. If you could find another font that has the symbol you needed, you might try that. But it might not work as well for all the other symbols needed that the Finale Numerics font has.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Vaughan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:13 pm

There are several fonts which have the slashes in the 'proper' places, unlike the Finale Numerics font. Opus Figured Bass and Ansgar Kraus' Final Figured Bass are two of them.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

juliepiano
Finale Version: 25

Post by juliepiano » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:19 pm

Thank you for the info. I will look into these. I've been adding the slash manually with a text block. Crude but effective.
Julie Johnson
Owner, J. Johnson Music Publications
Author of Basics of Keyboard Theory, Ear Training Basics, and Guide to AP Music Theory