how to set up Finale to open MIDI files on websites...

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Florio60
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Florio60 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Does anyone know how to set up Finale to open the MIDI files that are sometimes found on websites? (Windows 10). Finale is not offered as one of the available apps in the Default Programs settings.

There are a few websites with embedded MIDI files which cannot be downloaded, and so need to be played using a suitable App. VLC player doesn't open MIDI files (at least on my PC), but I have Finale and so would like to use it also for playing online files.

Florio
Finale 2014.5
Windows 11

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by FwL » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:13 am

Finale would be a poor choice for streaming MIDI. The program is just not designed for that sort of thing.

Can you not set VLC to play MIDI files? Windows Media Player? Quicktime?
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 am

Finale can only download the file, import it, and then you'll have to press play to get playback.

To listen to embedded MIDI files in webpages, you need a browser plug-in that handles the format, or possibly some MIDI playing app, if your browser can use apps as helpers.

On the Mac side, Apple removed support in the browser (and elsewhere) for MIDI files ages ago, so we're in a similar boat.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:46 pm

BuonTempi wrote:Finale can only download the file, import it, and then you'll have to press play to get playback.

To listen to embedded MIDI files in webpages, you need a browser plug-in that handles the format, or possibly some MIDI playing app, if your browser can use apps as helpers.

On the Mac side, Apple removed support in the browser (and elsewhere) for MIDI files ages ago, so we're in a similar boat.
It can still be done but, like Flash, Java and other plugin helpers, there are major security issues. Developers are being encouraged to port all of that over to HTML 5. The default is to cripple everything else.

All of the browsers stated that you wouldn’t be able to add any such helpers as of Jan. 2017... Yea, well it’s now 2018 so that didn’t happen but still, the internet is moving slowly into compliance. I access hundreds of web sites a week in my music industry day job. I now get Flash, Java and MIDI requests less than one a month total.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro