split measure notation

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

glenndwilson

Post by glenndwilson » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:40 pm

Hi! I'm using Finale 2006 on a PC and was wondering if I'm missing something or if Finale doesn't support this.

When writing drum parts for jazz, I like to specify slash notation with rhythmic 'hits', ala rhythm notation. e.g. two quarter note slashes followed by an eighth rest, eighth note tied to quarter note.

Can I mix slash notation with rhythmic notation in the same measure. I've tried doing it in another layer but that gets kind of messy and I really don't want to see both.

Thanks

Glenn Wilson
www.jazzmaniac.com

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:07 am

Glenn,

You can do it with staff styles.
The secret is to toggle on "Select Partial Measures" in the Edit menu.
With "Select Partial Measures" on you can select the first two quarters of the measure, and apply the staff style Slash Notation.
Next, select the rhythm in the last half of the measure, and apply the staff style Rhythmic Notation.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:54 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote: You can do it with staff styles.
The secret is to toggle on "Select Partial Measures" in the Edit menu.
With "Select Partial Measures" on you can select the first two quarters of the measure, and apply the staff style Slash Notation.
Next, select the rhythm in the last half of the measure, and apply the staff style Rhythmic Notation.

Peter
Peter is (as always) correct. Just one more remark :
if you use rhythmic notation, your hits will be written on the middle line of the staff.
If you want your hits to be more specific (bass drum at the bottom of staff, or cymbal on top, etc...), you can have your drum staff defined to display percussion notation, in layer 1 and 2 for instance, and create/apply a staff style for slash notation in another layer.
This way you can superimpose slashes AND accents on the same beats.
PS : An alternate option (which I like to use because it is more clear when entering data) is to create a second staff (1 line, no key sig, no time sig etc) just for slashes. Then when you are finished, just drag the "slash" staff on top of the other staff ("accents"). Create a group with these 2 staves for extraction.
But the first method has the advantage to solve everything in 1 staff. You can figure it out.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

glenndwilson

Post by glenndwilson » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:55 pm

Thanks guys. That's great. I knew there must be a way to do it.