Linked Parts in Finale 27

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

clancyweeks
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by clancyweeks » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:46 pm

Latest update of Fin27, and odd things are happening that never happened in older versions...

When editing parts, I notice grace notes collide with their following note, and there is no way to change it. Not with Music Spacing (any setting), not with Special Tools Notehead mover, and I can't even go into the part in Speedy entry. Now, I should add, this only happens when I split parts out from a single staff (Flute 1 and 2, for instance) and not with the original generated part. I also cannot create multi-measure rests when the part has real whole rests, and while I know this is normal, there used to be a workaround. I can't remember or find it, though.

Anyone got any ideas?
Clancy Weeks
Owner / Avalon Press
FinWin 27
Microsoft Surface Pro 7 i7 256
Finale user for 25+ years (since ver. 2)

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:04 pm

I don't believe there was ever a way to create mm rests from real whole rests.

The "voiced" part feature has other problems as well. My opinion is that you should write the two parts on separate staves, use those for creating parts, then combine them with the JW Staff Polyphony plug-in into a third staff to display in the printed score. That way you can have the parts look exactly how you want them with minimal fuss.

clancyweeks

Post by clancyweeks » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:47 pm

I never had to use a 3rd party solution before for the layer problem. I think I may have placed the real whole note rests in layer 3 or 4 to solve that issue. I'll try that, but the major problem with grace notes remains. With no way to move them in the parts, Finale is basically unusable now.
Clancy Weeks
Owner / Avalon Press
FinWin 27

clancyweeks

Post by clancyweeks » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:10 pm

So, this is definitely a bug, but I have found a workaround for anyone else who sees it. In the Score, I add a second hidden grace note between the two visible notes. The hidden note collides with the following note, but the visible grace note moves to its correct spacing.

A ton of extra work for me, but when hasn't a bug done that?
Clancy Weeks
Owner / Avalon Press
FinWin 27