How to create multimeasures rests out of bars that have entries?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

htoker
Finale Version: V26
Operating System: Mac

Post by htoker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:15 pm

I am creating an orchestral score where flute and flute 2 share the same staff on the score. Flute 1 is layer 1, Flute 2 is layer 2. So, when they play in unison, I got both layers in. Conductor sees stems going both ways. The name of that staff (instrument, as far as the score manager is concerned) is ''Flutes 1,2''. On the score there is also a Piccolo staff. The second flutist in the orchestra will play that part as well.

So, in the manage parts dialog box, I've created a part named ''Flute 2 / Piccolo'', and I put two instruments into it: ''Flutes 1, 2'' and ''Piccolo''.

I've specified voicing for flutes 1,2 in this part, so the 'staff in this part will display': selected notes from one or more layers / In measures containing a single layer, it displays 2nd note from the top; in measures containing multiple layers, it displays Layer 2.

I don't want the flutist reading this part to see a two-staff system. So, in the part view, I apply the staff style ''Force Hide Staff (Collapse)'' to all the Flute 1 lines.

Everything fine up to here... But, here's where I'm stuck: In some instances where only flute 1 is playing in the score, I need to indicate to the conductor it's not ''a2'', but only flute 1. So there, I write ''1'' (displaying only in the score) and leave layer 2 blank. That way, those measures turn into multimeasure rests in the ''Flute 2 / Piccolo'' part . But, in some instances I prefer to manually put a whole-note rest to the second layer, where other stuff is happening in layer 1. Those manually placed rests won't turn into a multimeasure rest in the flute 2 / Piccolo part! How do you do it?

I know there's a way to make it work. It's probably in the staff styles. Someone taught me how to do it, and I've done it before, but I forgot how. I tried the staff styles 'blank measures layer 1, blank measures layer 2, blank measures all layers', but all those do is to make the manually entered whole note rests disappear! Please help, good people!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:29 pm

htoker wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:15 pm
… in some instances I prefer to manually put a whole-note rest to the second layer, where other stuff is happening in layer 1. Those manually placed rests won't turn into a multimeasure rest in the flute 2 / Piccolo part! …
Instead of inputting a real whole rest, enter a false whole rest with the Smart Shape Tool.

Use the sub-tool Custom Line Tool to create a line with the whole rest character as Center Text.
Give the line zero thickness.

Draw your custom line between the barlines, and use the context menu to make the line Horizontal.
Zoom in to a high zoom percentage, select the line, and use the arrow keys to nudge the line to the correct vertical position.

The false whole rest will stay centered between the barlines as you change the layout (and the distance between the barlines).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

htoker

Post by htoker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:51 pm

Thank you so much, Peter!

But I know -I seem to remember- there's gotta be another, more direct way. One could even put notes in there, rather than a simple fake or real whole note rest, then make Finale perceive and treat the measure as empty (by making multimeasure rests over it).

Am I wrong? Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly. You work for Finale, you'd know better.

Also, while we're at it, could I ask you: if there a way I can make the replies to my threads appear in my email inbox? I looked around, but didn't see such an option.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:01 pm

htoker wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:51 pm
…You work for Finale, you'd know better …
I do not work for the company - I am just a Finale user.

htoker wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:51 pm
… is there a way I can make the replies to my threads appear in my email inbox? I looked around, but didn't see such an option …
I could be wrong, but I have not seen a such option.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:07 pm

You can be notified when there is a response, but, like Peter said, I don't see a way to have the response itself posted to you.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

htoker

Post by htoker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:37 pm

Thank you, Miker! OK, now I see: Notifications on the top right...

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:49 pm

Just be aware that some people have said they don’t get notified, even when they have selected it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:21 pm

My approach for Flute 1 and Flute 2 (say) is to write separate staves for each part, which contain exactly what you want in the part, and make the parts from those. Then for the conductor's score, combine the two flute staves into a third staff using Finale's "implode" or the JW Staff Polyphony plug-in. Don't include the separate flute staves in what the conductor sees. This way you can add things like "a2", "Iº", and "IIº" without having to keep them from the parts. (I think you'll also find that having a long string of double-stemmed notes in a2 passages is not the standard way publishers do things and will look cluttered.)

This is much more straight-forward and less time-consuming in the end than starting with a single staff and then trying to tease it apart, which as you're finding can be problematic.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:49 am

motet wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:21 pm
My approach for Flute 1 and Flute 2 (say) is to write separate staves for each part...
This is much more straight-forward and less time-consuming in the end than starting with a single staff and then trying to tease it apart, which as you're finding can be problematic.
FWIW some of us, when ready with the content, double the conductor's score into a parts score. Among other things this evades the complications described above. Doing so I haven't found much difference in the time spent starting with parts on different staves or on the same staff. When creating the parts score the processes of merging and splitting are quite similar, I think. Both ways you have to choose where to split/merge from/to one layer, or from/to different layers.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

htoker

Post by htoker » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:02 pm

miker wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:49 pm
Just be aware that some people have said they don’t get notified, even when they have selected it.
Yes, I'm one of those, apparently. I got the notification selected, but I'm not getting emails about it. Just checked my spam folder; it's not there either. Oh well... will just have to check back here once in a while, I guess:) It's nice that people are so helpful here, responding with solutions so quickly!

htoker

Post by htoker » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:04 pm

motet wrote:
My approach for Flute 1 and Flute 2 (say) is to write separate staves for each part, which contain exactly what you want in the part, and make the parts from those. Then for the conductor's score, combine the two flute staves into a third staff using Finale's "implode" or the JW Staff Polyphony plug-in. Don't include the separate flute staves in what the conductor sees. This way you can add things like "a2", "Iº", and "IIº" without having to keep them from the parts. (I think you'll also find that having a long string of double-stemmed notes in a2 passages is not the standard way publishers do things and will look cluttered.)

Thank you Motet! I will do that next time. Right now I got a long, complicated, finished 4-movement work, with a lot of those double-way stem clutter. I checked with editions before getting into it and saw that some of the do it; so I went ahead. But I agree, the other, older way is less cluttered, more desirable.

htoker

Post by htoker » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:06 pm

Anders Hedelin wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:49 am
motet wrote:
My approach for Flute 1 and Flute 2 (say) is to write separate staves for each part...
FWIW some of us, when ready with the content, double the conductor's score into a parts score. Among other things this evades the complications described above. Doing so I haven't found much difference in the time spent starting with parts on different staves or on the same staff. When creating the parts score the processes of merging and splitting are quite similar, I think. Both ways you have to choose where to split/merge from/to one layer, or from/to different layers.
Thank you, Anders! I tried that once, long time ago. Later, when I decided to revisit the work and revise it, everything became double work. That's why chose not to go that way from then on.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:19 pm

htoker wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:06 pm
I tried that once, long time ago. Later, when I decided to revisit the work and revise it, everything became double work. That's why chose not to go that way from then on.
You are quite right of course, htoker. Probably the double scores is a safer method when engraving music by others. Admittedly I've come across composers who want to change something after the score is split, but mostly just a few details, so I think I'll risk hanging on to the double-score thing.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2

Post by Gareth Green » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:20 pm

It's possible to deal with this using voiced parts by using staff styles in the linked parts which will allow the multi-measure rests you want, without the hassle of multiple scores. I couldn't give you precise instructions off the top of my head, because it's a few years since I had to do it. It's something like "blank notation layer 'n', and you may have to modify the staff style definition ...
But I know it's possible ...
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:12 pm

Your memory is correct.
1) Apply the Staff Style "Blank Notation with Rests" (to the Layer that hosts the notes) to Score and Parts.
This will replace the music with default rests in the score and in the part. Default rests accept Multimeasure Rests.
2) You can then apply (in the score) Edit -> Multimeasure Rests -> Create. But they will only appear in the score. Not especially useful.

3) If you want the MM Rests only in a part (and keep the notes in the score)
• display the part
• apply the Staff Style "Blank Notation with Rests" (to the Layer that hosts the notes) and to Current Part only.
• apply Multimeasure Rests -> Create.
The utility of this method : Voiced Linked Parts (created via "Specify Voicing" when 2 instruments share a staff). When instrument 1 plays, but instrument 2 is tacet, instrument 2 will display Multimeasure Rests.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

htoker

Post by htoker » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:08 pm

Thank you Gareth!
Thank you Michelp!

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:06 pm

htoker wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:37 pm
… is there a way I can make the replies to my threads appear in my email inbox? …
htoker wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:37 pm
… OK, now I see: Notifications on the top right …
Actually it is here:

When you are logged in here in the forum, click in the top right, on your User Name, to pull down a pop up menu:

htoker menu > User Control Panel > Edit notification options

As Mike pointed out, you can not have the actual reply text emailed to you.

By The Way:
The forum on MakeMusic’s web site (which uses another forum software) has the feature you are asking for.