Contemplating upgrade. List of bugs/fixes?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Harpsi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Harpsi » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:48 am

Hi all,

I am on Finale 25 that needs to have the Windows print spooler routine turned off in order to start at all. I believe this bug has been taken care of in the later versions, is that right?

Furthermore, is there any comprehensive list of what bugs remain in Finale 27? It would be good to know what benefits I would get from upgrading. I have seen the version history documents but they don't talk about remaining issues.
Finale 2014.5, Finale 25, Dorico 4, Musescore 4
Windows 11

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:39 am

The “fixes list” is here:

http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... Finale.htm

Unfortunately there is not a list of un-fixed bugs in Finale v27.

My guess is that MakeMusic keeps a list of reported bugs, that the list is constantly changing (as new bugs get reported, and existing bugs get fixed), and that the bugs are “prioritized” (= the crucial bugs will be fixed first).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:19 pm

I am on Finale 25 that needs to have the Windows print spooler routine turned off in order to start at all.
Have you tried leaving the print spooler running and disable the printer? If Finale starts as it should you have a printer problem and not a print spooler issue. You may just be able to get the latest driver for your printer and it will fix the problem. Also make sure to set the Print Spooler Service Startup Type to Automatic and not Manual.

Windows 10 and 11 both have a troubleshooter which lets you find and fix printing problems. The troubleshooter scans the system for common print problems and can sometimes automatically fix them.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.