Change Instrumnets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

brent3544
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by brent3544 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:37 pm

Running Finale 27 on Win 10 desktop. A player starts on piccolo, then changes to clarinet. Later I want the player to change back to pic for a few measures. But change instrument does not work. I select the zone and use UTILITIES > CHANGE INSTRUMENT. Then I select pic from the instrument lest and click OK. But there is no key change, no transposition, etc. When I changed the initial pic to clar, i selected the measure for the change and used change instrument to successfully change to clar from that measure to the end of the piece. I have tried changing back to pic to the end of the piece, and also changing a selected zone. Nothing works. A snipped out example is attached.

Does the fact that I changed earlier from pic to clar from the change measure to the end of the piece lock out further changes?
How can I make this change happen?

Thanks for any help.
Attachments
TEST.musx
(182.94 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:43 pm

There's nothing that starts with piccolo in your test file, but I was able to change to piccolo in the middle and then back to clarinet in the manner you describe.
Attachments
0480.png

brent3544

Post by brent3544 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:40 pm

First line changes are not problem. The problem is with the 3rd line only, which had a previous instrument change. In the test snip I sent, you can see that the instrument is clarinet by the key signature and staff title.Also, sScore manager shows clarinet.

But the UTILITIES > CHANGE INSTRUMENT dialog box shows that the current instrument is piccolo. Even if I use the change instrument dialog to change a portion of the 3rd line from piccolo to clarinet and clink OK, then close and re-open the change instrument dialog, it still shows piccolo. And the key and staff label do not change properly. Also, any copy to the "changed" segment is not transposed properly. This is true whether I use the mouse (copy/paste) or EDIT > COPY then PASTE. The problem seems to be that FINALE is confused about what instrument is in use.

Is there a way to regenerate/refresh the score to see if that can help it recover?

The entire piece is 11 staves and over 300 measures (so far), but I can send all if it would help.

I cant figure out how to send a screenshot ... How did you do that?
I couldn't attach the screenshots in PDF -- and pictures can not copy into this text message.

motet

Post by motet » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:24 pm

It's best to give specific instructions like "the problem is with the 3rd line only." You'll get the problem solved quicker and won't risk wasting anyone's time.

I had no trouble with the third staff, either.

Try selecting the whole piece for that staff and changing it to Piccolo, then proceed from there. To change a selection to Clarinet, select just those measures for the change. It will revert to Piccolo afterwards.

To fix the staff name, go into the Score Manager and expand the piccolo as shown in the second picture. Find the clarinet section below and edit the name there. (Finale uses the default instrument names from its database.)
0483.png
Image4.png

brent3544

Post by brent3544 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:10 pm

Thanks for the help. I think that did it. When I changed the entire piece to clarinet, small segments could be changed to piccolo. Seemingly, once you use change-to-the-end-of-the-piece, further changes are locked out. But the manual doesn't reveal that.

motet

Post by motet » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:33 pm

I didn't find that to be the case, but I'm glad your problem is solved.