slur crossing fingering numbers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Gergo
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Gergo » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:19 pm

Hi there, I'm using Finale 27 since last week and bumped into the following issue. In some cases the finger number is crossed by the slur and can't move either of them without moving the other. Is there any way to solve this? Crossed finger number looks quite confusing suggesting that, it is an incorrect information. I've made a screenshot about it, but cannot upload here:( May be quite creepy, but maybe this is why I need help...:)

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:33 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by you can't move either without moving the other. The fingering should go over or under the slur. The fingering is be either an articulation or an expression. Go to the proper tool and drag the handle attached to the fingering.
Attachments
Image3.png

Gergo

Post by Gergo » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:55 pm

This is exactly I was facing. Finger number is an articulation, isn't it? With Finale 2014 I was able to move it gradually. And also I could edit the slur. So with a small effort I did what I wanted. With the new version of Finale, after marking finger number it takes ages to hit PgUp key million times and nothing happens. Then suddely it goes up a lot, too much. Only thing I can do is to increese the angle of the slur, but if I want to avoid collision, it needs to go so high that, it doesn't look nice...

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:29 pm

Have you tried using the mouse instead of the arrow keys? If the fingering articulation has "avoid staff lines" checked, I've seen it balk at the arrow keys until it gets out of gravity range or something. If you press Shift while dragging with the mouse, that will constrain it to up and down only. Or you can uncheck "avoid staff lines" in the definition.

It looks like the fingerings in 2014.5 don't have "avoid staff lines" checked and they do in 27. Maybe that explains your sudden frustration.

Gergo

Post by Gergo » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:56 pm

Using the mouse has a weird impact. I move the mouse for a while and nothing happens on the sreen, then it just jumps up or down a lot, but far not as accurate as I wish. Is the any opportunity in Fin27 to set the accuracy of artikulation? I can't find it...

Anyway, I really appreciate your help and quick answers:)

Graeme Gilmore
Finale Version: Finale 25.2

Post by Graeme Gilmore » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:56 pm

The key to controlling these behaviors is in the lower part of the Articulation Designer. Select the articulation and then the Edit Articulation Definition.

If you deselect Always place outside staff and, possibly, Avoid staff lines, the articulation will no longer jump around and can be moved anywhere, including in the staff.

However, the articulation will still jump around the slur unless the Slur Interaction is changed to Ignore. Sometimes the problem can be solved by just changing the Slur interaction option (ignore, always inside, auto inside/outside).

If there are other places this same articulation is used, it is sometimes best to make a copy of the articulation and then make the changes in the copy so that the rest of the “1’s” can take advantage of the default positioning options.
Attachments
Clip.jpg
Graeme Gilmore

Finale 27.2, Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium, GPO, TGTools, Patterson Plug-Ins, Copyist's Helper, JW Plug-Ins