Layer 2 Invisible - after applying staff style

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dstraigh
Finale Version: 27.3.0.160
Operating System: Mac

Post by dstraigh » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:47 am

So, I had this idea of adding rhythmic notation on layer 2 (with the hopes of converting that to a floating notation above the staff). However, my plan got derailed when layer 2 suddenly became invisible the moment I applied the rhythmic notation staff style.

Document > Show Active Layer Only is NOT checked

The only way I can see layer two is by selecting the Speedy Entry Tool and clicking the measure containing the invisible layer 2.

If I remove the staff style then the notes on layer 2 appear alongside with the notes on layer 1.

Any idea what might be causing this?

I've attached my Finale document.
Attachments
layer_2_invisible.musx
(121.06 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:40 pm

From what I could see, your Rhythmic Notation staff style is applied to Layer 1 and hides other Layers. If you edit it (via define staff styles), in Alternate Notation, Other Layers, select Show notes.
But if you want rhythms to be at the top of the staff, you could use another approach : notes in specific layer on top of the staff, with noteheads in X for instance.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

dstraigh
Finale Version: 27.3.0.160

Post by dstraigh » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:41 pm

I was able to fix this issue by defining a new staff style.

1) First, I clicked on the 1st measure of my attached Finale document (see my 1st post in this thread) - where the notes are on layer 2.

2) Right-click and select Define Staff Styles . . .

3) Click the “New” button and type in a name for the new staff style

4) Then under “Appearance” select the “Settings . . .” button to the right of “Alternate Notation.”

5) In the Alternate Notation dialog box select the “Rhythmic Notation” radio button and then next to “Apply To” select Layer 2 from the drop down box. Click OK (twice for each menu dialog).

Now you can apply the newly created staff style to the notes on layer 2 - and it will be visible.

I posted a YouTube video showing the above steps. Here’s the link:

https://youtu.be/K-aHE2d8dLg