"Legacy" Articulations

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:23 am

Opening on old document from before the Articulations change in F26, I get the alert, asking if I want to update the articulations, or not.

If I say "No", I get:
Screenshot 6.png
So far, so good. But if I say "Yes", I get:
Screenshot 11.png
Screenshot 11.png (156.89 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
Every note in the chord gets a staccato. If I delete the artics and re-apply, then I get one artic per chord, as expected.

So, basically, should I always say "No" for old documents?

Also, could we please have a larger file size limit for images? 200Kb seems to be the cut-off.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:14 pm

The short answer is "No", if you have used only simple automatically-placed articulations like staccatos, accents etc.

But if you have used manually-placed articulations, like the complex fingering that I use in my editions, the answer is "None of the Above." Both ways make a hash out of the articulations. Which is why I may eventually move everything to Dorico.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:54 pm

I get BT's result when importing an XML from SmartScore. I select one of them, go to the articulation designer, and uncheck Stack Automatically. (I really wish that wasn't the default.) That takes care of all of that particular articulation, but I have to do it for each one. Fortunately, the scores I work with rarely have more than two or three.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27

Post by bakkumd » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:59 pm

There are a couple of plug-ins that might assist your conversions to 27 slightly easier.

1. "Remove duplicate articulations"
2. "Remove articulations from rests"
3. "Reset articulation positions"
4. "Reset automatic articulation positions"

They are located on the FinaleLua plugin page:

https://www.finalelua.com/scripts

Type "articulations" into the search field, and they should be in the first four or five.

To use these plugins, you need to be using RGP Lua, and not JW Lua... as stated in the description of the "Reset articulation positions" plugin:
This script resets all selected articulations to their default positions. Due to complications arising from how Finale stored articulation positions before Finale 26, it requires Finale 26 or higher. Due to issues around maintaining the context for automatic stacking, it must be run under RGP Lua. JW Lua does not have the necessary logic to manage the stacking context.
Plugins #3 and #4 from above were written specifically to correct articulation issues related to pre-26 Finale files.
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:43 pm

Whatever the question, the answer is always "More plug-ins!". :lol: