Asterisk function not working for Articulations

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MarcP
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MarcP » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:17 am

I am using Finale 27 which I recently purchased to upgrade as well as a Macbook Pro 2023 with the touch bar. There is no individual asterisk key as it is hiding above the number "8" on the QWERTY number row. No matter what I press, I cannot get this to work. I finally discovered that you need to press OPTION+A to access the articulation menu.

However, in the tutorial when it says to type COMMAND+asterisk for sticky articulation (applying staccato to all notes in the measure), this does nothing. I've tried OPTION+A+COMMAND to see if that works and it still does not work.

I don't want to have to re-input articulation for each beat. Is there a workaround other than having to purchase a separate keyboard to go with the money I already spent on the Macbook Pro?

Thanks in advance :)

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:45 am

The way I would do this is hold down the shortcut key -- for instance S for staccato -- and click-drag a box around the notes.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:24 pm

I do the same as Bill does. It works as long as one drags on the stave, even if the notes to have the articulation added are on ledger lines above or below the stave itself.

If you want to change an articulation on all notes in a section to another, select them all while in the articulation tool then double tap the shortcut key for the replacement articulation. eg If you select a whole line of articulations and double tap A, they will then all become accents. Or you can use the selection tool, utilities menu, change, change articulations. In Finale there is often more than one way to do things.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6