(Solved!) Trouble finding the ReWire:Finale plugin in Reaper

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

brkootnekoff
Operating System: Windows

Post by brkootnekoff » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:22 am

Solved! Make Music support helped me troubleshoot and I got Finale to work as a plugin in Reaper.

I'm trying to use Finale in a Reaper session, but I can't find the ReWire plugin named "ReWire:Finale" in the plugin list.

I see only 2 ReWire plugins listed: ReWire:Reaper and ReWire:Melodyne.

I tried installing past versions of Reaper, but I still wasn't able to find "ReWire:Finale" for some reason.

Did they phase out the "ReWire:Finale" plugin? And is there anyway I can get a copy of it? Either by adding some lines to the file registry (or someplace else?)

Or could someone please send me a copy of their ReWire.dll file that will simply add the ReWire:Finale plugin.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by brkootnekoff on Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:01 pm

At least on Mac, Finale 27.4 still installs a ReWire component.

However, the ReWire protocol has been discontinued by Propellerhead and Steinberg.

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:35 pm

I experimented with Reaper a few years ago. Rather than linking through rewire, you might consider exporting a midi file from Finale and importing it into Reaper, then setting up your VSTs in Reaper. The human playback element is preserved that way. There are videos online showing the steps, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXChDiAuI1A
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

brkootnekoff

Post by brkootnekoff » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:26 pm

i need to run Finale in Reaper because i want to sync Finale's playback to video. It's a pain to have to start the video in Reaper and then hurry up and press the play button in Finale. Not a great way to sync music to video, unfortunately. I'm trying to score a scene from a tv show this way.

I need the ReWire:Finale plugin in Reaper. Does anyone have an older version of the ReWire.dll (for Reaper) that they could send to me?

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:56 am

I'm guessing you didn't look at the video link I provided. If you export the midi file to Reaper you don't need to run Finale after that, assuming the notation is complete. You assign the VST playback sounds to the commensurate tracks in Reaper. Pressing the "play" button in Reaper will begin playback and use all the Human Playback elements that were exported in the midi file. I use Cubase but it's the same basic procedure. You should be able to make any changes to the midi file within Reaper, syncing to the video. Perhaps you're composing to the picture playback, which is why you need Finale open?
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

brkootnekoff

Post by brkootnekoff » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:11 am

Yes. I'm writing the notation as I'm watching the video. That's why I need some sort of video player that will sync to Finale's playback.

VidPlayVST works as a plugin within Finale. I tried the demo version and it synced fairly well. I couldn't purchase the full version for some reason--the checkout kept on rejecting my CC.

The traditional way of doing this is composing all of the music in a DAW (syncing the music to picture) and then, only if needed, exporting the MIDI parts to a notation program.

But that's not how my brain works ( I prefer to work backwards).

brkootnekoff

Post by brkootnekoff » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:25 pm

This issue has been solved. Make Music support helped me troubleshoot.