D.C al Fine?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Slipin Lizard
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by Slipin Lizard » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:16 pm

I'm relatively new to Finale. I have a simple score for piano with the marking "D.C. al Fine" at the end, and the "Fine" mark at the end of the opening passage. As I'm sure most of you know, this is an instruction to go back to the beginning, and then end at "Fine". This is very common, especially in simpler scores. I can't get Finale to do this. It will observe the "D.C. al Fine" marking, and go back to the beginning, but then it will play the whole piece through again, ignoring the "Fine" indicated. I've searched online and there's lots of people talking about multiple endings and "D.C al Coda" but no one seems to address how to get Finale to observe D.C al Fine & the Fine mark on playback, which I find surprising, because its quite common. If someone knows how to do this, would really appreciate the help! Just to be clear, before anyone posts "don't use D.C. al Fine, instead, do this "trick" to get it to work", there's no need. I'm only looking for a solution that uses the D.C. al Fine and Fine markings. The score is part of a repertoire and needs to appear in Finale exactly as it does in the book, and the repeat instructions need to be the same. Thanks!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:25 pm

Set up the Fine to "stop on pass 2".
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Slipin Lizard

Post by Slipin Lizard » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:30 pm

michelp wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:25 pm
Set up the Fine to "stop on pass 2".
Thanks for the quick response. I tried your suggestion, but now Finale plays through just the first half of the score twice, and then stops. I'm just taking a wild guess here because I'm really pretty new to Finale and I'm probably missing something, but right now it just seems like the "D.C. al Fine" and "Fine" are just labels for convenience. The repeat tool just sets up a repeat, to either repeat a section or the whole piece. When I select "Edit Repeat Assignment", I don't see anything that looks like it can setup the repeat to do what "D.C. al Fine" actually means.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:34 pm

Every item in the Repeat tool can be programmed (via its handle). The DC al fine should point to the first measure, and the Fine as described.
Capture d’écran 2024-02-06 à 20.38.47.jpg
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Slipin Lizard

Post by Slipin Lizard » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:50 pm

michelp wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:34 pm
Every item in the Repeat tool can be programmed (via its handle). The DC al fine should point to the first measure, and the Fine as described.
Sorry, I'm new to Finale so I don't know what you mean by "every item in the Repeat tool can be programmed (via its handle). I'm right-clicking on the D.C. al Fine and Fine markings to bring up the Edit Repeat Assignment dialog box which looks the same as the screen capture you posted. I've set up the D.C. al Fine and Fine repeats as you've suggested, and it still just plays to the Fine mark, goes back to the beginning, and then plays through to the Fine mark and stops. I appreciate the effort, thanks anyways.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:02 pm

It's idiotic that D.C. al Fine and Fine don't have better defaults, but study these carefully and compare them to yours. The first one is the Fine and the second the D.C. al Fine.
Attachments
0595.png
0594.png

Slipin Lizard

Post by Slipin Lizard » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:00 pm

motet wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:02 pm
It's idiotic that D.C. al Fine and Fine don't have better defaults, but study these carefully and compare them to yours. The first one is the Fine and the second the D.C. al Fine.
Thanks. That's exactly what I have, and it still doesn't work. It just plays to the Fine mark, goes back to the beginning and then stops. Feels like it should be something obvious that I'm missing, but I'm just not finding it. Thanks anyways.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:39 pm

Attach your file here and someone will figure it out.

Slipin Lizard

Post by Slipin Lizard » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:19 am

Ok, I got it sorted out. Thanks to both of you for your responses. Michelp, I get what you mean about the handles now (another way you can access the repeat parameters). My fault for not including that the first section repeats (section A x 2, section B x1, back to section A 1x and end). I set the Fine to end on the 3rd pass, and that got it. Thanks again!