Make measures taller without formatting issues?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SkunkyDude
Finale Version: 27.4.1.146
Operating System: Mac

Post by SkunkyDude » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:11 pm

I have a wind band piece that needs the measures enlarged. The conductor asked for the measures to be taller for ease of reading. Is there any easy way to make the measures taller without causing a number of formatting issues?

I tried using the resize tool, but now a bunch of notes are going right off the page horizontally. And the note heads are out of proportion. I feel like going that route just opened a can of worms that is more trouble than it's worth.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:04 pm

I suppose that all systems are locked - right?

When you make the staves bigger, the notes, too, will get resized, and the music spacing will get tighter.
To avoid a too tight spacing it may be necessary to decrease the number of measures in each system - so that you get more systems/pages.

Something to try:

Change the default formatting for new systems/pages:
Document menu > Page Format > …
Changing the default formatting for new systems/pages will not affect already existing systems/pages.

To update already existing pages with new defaults:
Page Layout Tool.
Page Layout menu > Redefine Pages > …

You can undo - in case you do not like the result.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

SkunkyDude
Finale Version: 27.4.1.146

Post by SkunkyDude » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:59 pm

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately, neither of the options seemed to fix my issues. I have attached a picture of what is happening to better explain the dilemma. Do you have any other ideas?

I'm open to trying anything because the other option is to hand-type all of the music into a new, pre-formatted file.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 6.07.15 PM-min 2 (2).png
Pic of issue

AnneMillington
Finale Version: 27.3.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by AnneMillington » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:07 pm

Re putting an older composition into a newly formatted template, I have had good luck with a mass copy and paste. Most of the new formatting is honored, with only a few tweaks required. I've never tried what you describe, but that is how I would go at it.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:14 pm

The music obviously needs some re-spacing (type Cmd + 4).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua