Adjusting multimeasure numbers when measure numbers are ignored

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

klflote
Finale Version: 27.3.0.160
Operating System: Mac

Post by klflote » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:51 pm

I have a piece with a piano cadenza. The original publication numbers all the measures in the cadenza so I need to follow that, but some measures are too dense to notate easily. So I used multiple measures for those dense measures, and selected the extra ones and unchecked "Include in measuring numbering". So far so good: the measuring numbering comes out as expected for all parts.

But in the parts, the multi-measure rests for the cadenza in the parts have the wrong count: they include all actual measure numbers rather than just those that I've said to include in the measuring numbers. As a simple example in the attached file: the flute should have 3 measures of rest to match that the measure where it enters is measure 4. Instead, it has 4.

Did I miss something to make the numbering correct? Else I'm wondering what my options are here. Given that it's a cadenza, I can take out the number for the multi-measure rest, but I don't want to have to go through all the parts and do that manually. Or leave the number since no one will count it anyway. Or I could go back and put everything into the correct dense measures in the piano part, but really it's quite difficult to edit that way; the measures are simply too wide (particularly editing on my laptop; if I had a wide monitor it would be different). I guess if I edited in page view mode I could put it in one measure and use measure split points to make it possible to edit the wide measure. Or... ??
Attachments
MMRest.musx
(110.13 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:12 am

In your example I would make the first two measures into an 8/4 measure displayed as 4/4; the JW Meter and Rhythm plug-in will help with this. Perhaps that will work on the cadenza measures that you've split to remerge them.
Attachments
0676.png
0675.png

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:21 am

If the combined measures really are too cramped to edit, do it last thing. But you can edit in Scroll view and it shouldn't be an issue.

I agree nobody is going to count the rests, but it might be a good idea to leave the number for measure counting in general. But you could instead devise an expression, "Cadenza," say, give it an opaque enclosure, and use that to cover up the number. If you design its offsets correctly so that no hand-adjusting is needed, it would be a snap to apply it to all the parts from the score.
Attachments
MMRest-1.musx
(108.72 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
0677.png
0677.png (6.69 KiB) Viewed 193 times