Can't get dynamic shortcuts to work on french laptop

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

5notechord
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by 5notechord » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:44 pm

I just got a french laptop, a mac running big sur. A frustrating particularity with french laptops is that the number are all secondary to characters, so i need to hold shift to type any of the numbers.

Upon opening finale (27.4) on this computer for the first time, I realized that the short cuts 0-9 for dynamics via the expression tool don't work. I changed the simple entry keyboard shortcuts to the laptop set but that doesn't seem to have any incidence on the expression tool shortcuts, as far as I can tell. I have tried the number keys and the shift+number keys, and nothing works. If I need to open to the expression tool dialog box and choose each dynamic, I will go out of my mind. So please, anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

RimasG
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by RimasG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 pm

If you want to work seriously with Finale, I would recommend buying the optional USB numeric keypad. Alternatively, you can switch to the USA keyboard layout when working with Finale. However, the most productive option is to buy an additional numeric keypad and program all the necessary shortcuts with TGTools at your convenience. Just one additional comment here: I'm a Widowsboy and I don't know if there are additional number keys for MAC :)
Win11 64bit, Fin27.3, TGTools pro,
Perfect Layout Silver, Transcribe,
Casio CDP-200R

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 pm

You can also get an extended keyboard for the Mac (with numeric keypad) to plug into your laptop when you are at home.
P.S.: There are numeric keypad apps for the iPhone (Numpad has a special profile for Finale)
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 pm

You can reprogram those dynamic shortcuts ("metatools") to whatever you want. Hold down the shift key, press the new key, then pick the dynamic from the dialog. This is per document, so you might consider reprogramming the template from which new documents are made.