multimeasures resetting despite edits

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hlomark
Finale Version: 27.4.0.144
Operating System: Mac

Post by hlomark » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:00 am

From a full score I have generated parts, in which I later have edited either the measure width or the symbol placement. But everytime I reopen the score, all my special edits disappear and everything resets. I have Automatic Updating turned off, but it still happens. How can I "freeze" the edits so they stick, even if I later have to update another part of the score or reopen the score?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:02 am

My first guess:

Document Options - Multimeasure Rests

De-select the option
Update Automatically

What it does:
During the initial phase when you enter music (probably from Scroll View), the option {Update Automatically} will break a multimeasure rest as you enter music into the empty measure(s).
At the same time {Update Automatically} will reset all measure widths to the defaults.

{Update Automatically} is very useful in the initial phase when you enter the music.

You can safely de-select {Update Automatically} when you
- have finished entering the music,
- switch to Page View,
- and begin working on the layout.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:33 pm

Only updating multimeasure rests where it matters seems like something they could rather easily fix. It certainly causes a lot of trouble.

My own method is to leave the "update automatically" setting always off and start out with no linked parts--delete them if you have to. I then enter all the music in the score, and only when done do I create the linked parts. If for some reason I end up having to add music in the score where there's a multimeasure rest in the part, I go to the part, right click on the multimeasure rest in the Selection tool, and pick Multimeasure Rests/Create.