Perfect layout is moving the measure numbers in score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

5notechord
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by 5notechord » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:32 pm

I use perfect layout with the factory settings. Basically I run the plug in and hit enter until the windows stop existing. It worked great but I just changed my set up (update, new computer, new version of finale) and now the measure numbers collide with the staves in the score. Kind of a deal breaker for a score, to have the measure numbers readable. How can I fix this, either via the plug-in (maybe its a bug?) or by moving the measure numbers en masse. I can only figure out how to drag them one by one.

Mac big sur with finale 27.4.blabla and latest PL update.

THANKS
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2024-04-30 à 00.28.09.png
Capture d’écran 2024-04-30 à 00.28.09.png (69.1 KiB) Viewed 280 times

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:57 pm

Measure Tool > Measure > Edit Measure Number Region > Position.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27

Post by bakkumd » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:57 pm

Measure number positioning for both Score and Parts is located in the Alignment tab in PL (Gold).
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

5notechord

Post by 5notechord » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:59 am

Bill Stevens wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:57 pm
Measure Tool > Measure > Edit Measure Number Region > Position.

::: Bill
thanks for the response. Ok so I had found that and it wasnt working, but upon trying it on a non-PL processed score it works. I think there is a bug, I will contact Elbsound.

5notechord

Post by 5notechord » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:16 pm

bakkumd wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:57 pm
Measure number positioning for both Score and Parts is located in the Alignment tab in PL (Gold).
I don't know if I can adjust it in mine, when I tried it didn't work, but maybe I'm using the wrong box. I don't have the words "measure number positioning", as it's in french. I've added a screen shot of what I tried adjusting (in the red rectangle)

In any case its probably a bug, seeing as the measure numbers regions are unadjustable afterwards. I will contact Elbsound.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2024-04-30 à 14.07.23.jpg

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27

Post by bakkumd » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:05 pm

Snotechord,

Your image indicates that you are using PL - SILVER. This version does not contain the "Alignment of Measure Numbers..." set of options.

If you wish to be able to adjust measure number positioning via PL, you will need to get the GOLD version.

Also - PL cannot "lock" measure number regions, making them unadjustable. Use the selection tool and double click on the measure number you wish to move - a small box should appear at the measure number. The tool palette will also switch to the measure tool.

From there, you can manually move the number(s) with your mouse and/or edit the region positioning via the Measure menu in your menu bar. Select "Edit Measure Number Regions...", then make sure you are editing the "Score" numbers (Score tab) if you are in the score. Click the "Position..." button and using your mouse, drag the number (in the window that pops up) to your preferred location. All instances of measure numbers in that region will be updated to this new position.
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:14 pm

My preferred way is to not have measure numbers in the score before running PL. I insert them afterwards. Even when it works correctly PL makes a convoluted series of measure number regions which is OK but it bothers me as I like it to be as less cluttered as possible.
Sometimes my scores have their own need for multiple measure number regions so any additional unnecessary ones don't help.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

5notechord

Post by 5notechord » Sun May 05, 2024 5:48 pm

Thanks for the responses. Jan from elbsound helped me out. The problem seems to be unique to me, but the solution was to go into edit measure number regions and to the correct of the 4 regions. 3 additional measure number regions are created upon running PL, and of the 4 only one can be adjusted. When I went to adjust, I wasnt aware of this and the option of adjusting is grayed out on 3/4s of the measure number regions.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:10 pm

Next time, or try it on the score you are working on now, by not setting up the measure numbers before running PL. Run PL and then set up your measure numbers. Of course if you play around with your current score do it on a copy not the original. I'll bet PL works a lot better for you that way.
If you work in page view you may need to use temporary measure numbers but I mostly use scroll view which has measure numbers at the top of the screen.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.