Put lowest note between parentheses

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Koen Pletinckx
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Koen Pletinckx » Sat May 04, 2024 3:42 pm

Hello everybody,

I suppose it's rather easy to do but as I can not find it and almost becoming crazy (even after searching on the net and in this forum), here is my question :
two notes parentheses.png
two notes parentheses.png (40.97 KiB) Viewed 139 times
So I have two notes placed on same stem but I want to place the lowest between parentheses. Using the articulation tool gives me the highest note between the parentheses but I can't find how to place use the lowest note. I can manually move the parentheses but that's a lot of work. So is there an easy way to put parentheses around my lowest note(s) ?

Thanks in advance for your help and greetings from Belgium !
Koen

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat May 04, 2024 4:25 pm

Instead of articulations, you could create a set of expressions. One of the vertical alignment choices is "bottom note." It will take some fiddling around to get it right, but then you can assign them with a metatool and click them in similarly to doing it with articulations.

If you have relatively few, though, you can apply the articulations to the top note like you've done and moved them both down to the bottom note together.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat May 04, 2024 7:24 pm

You might also consider reducing the size of the lower (optional) note, rather than using parentheses. A reduction to about 70% works well, and (to my eye, at least) looks less cluttered.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Koen Pletinckx
Finale Version: 27

Post by Koen Pletinckx » Sun May 05, 2024 3:16 pm

Thanks Miker and Motet for your help and tips !
There are only a few notes in this score where I need it so maybe I can just manually adjust the alignment.
And the solution of reducing the size of the notes is also a good tip !

Thanks again for your repsonse and greetings from Belgium !
Koen

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun May 05, 2024 3:32 pm

I like miker's suggestion :) but you can select both parentheses and use the down arrow key to place them where ever you want.
Very easy and quick to do.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.