Keyboard Shortcuts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ajdami

Post by ajdami » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:02 pm

I recently started using the forum for help and have found it to be a fantastic resource. One thing I notice is that many of the functions I wish to perform can be much easier using keyboard shortcuts. Is there someplace that I can find a list of all of these keyboard shortcuts?

thanks in advance for your help.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:45 pm

1) I don't think that there is a list of all Finale's keyboard shortcuts, but take a look at the Quick Reference Guide (= the 12 pages printed booklet that came with Finale).
(Not to mention the QuickStart Videos, and the tutorials)

2) When you pull down Finale's menus, you will see keyboard shortcuts listed in many menu items.

3) You can create your own, custom keyboard shortcuts for the menu items.

4) The keyboard shortcuts for switching to specific tools are user customizable.

5) Some keyboard shortcuts are document specific, not program specific, so they can be different in different documents.
Read about them in the manual, in the sections about the different tools (Example: read about expression metatools in the section about the Expression Tool).

Often your document was created from the Default File, and therefore your document has all the metatools from the Default File.
A few examples of metatools from the Default File:

A) Time Signature Tool:
Metatools for time signatures with quarters are located on the computer keyboard in the number row.
Metatools for time signatures with eighths are in the letter row below the number row (= the QWERTY row), on the letter below the corresponding number.
Metatools for time signatures with halves are in the letter row below the QWERTY row, on the letter below the corresponding number.
Examples:
3 = 3/4
E = 3/8
D = 3/2

B) Key Signature Tool:
Metatools for major keys with sharps are in the number row.
Metatools for major keys with flats are in the QWERTY row, on the letter below the corresponding number.
Examples:
3 = A major (= 3 sharps)
E = Eb major (= 3 flats)

C) Clef Tool:
Metatools for the clefs are in the number row, with the clefs numbered in the order they appear in Finale's dialog boxes.
Examples:
1 = Treble Clef
2 = Alto Clef
3 = Tenor Clef
4 = Bass Clef

D) Staff Tool:
In the dialog box Apply Staff Style you can see metatools for all the staff styles.
Examples:
S = Slash Notation
O = One-Bar Repeat
H = Hide Staff

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:00 pm

I suppose that you have noticed, under the Help menu, the item "Keyboard shortcuts", which lists quite a few.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua