Can't use Tascam DP-02 as master with Finale

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Freddy_T
Finale Version: 27.4.1.110
Operating System: Windows

Post by Freddy_T » Wed May 01, 2024 6:32 pm

A Tascam DP-02 portastudio is what I'm accustomed to using when I record vocals and guitar. (I don't have a DAW at this point.) I was using this portastudio as the master with an old sequencer program using MTC generated by the portastudio, and it worked fine. So I bought Finale to replace the old sequencer program (and an old copyist program too), with the understanding that Finale has the capability of being slaved via MIDI. (Dorico at present does not.) The problem is that Finale doesn't accept MTC for this syncing, only MIDI Clock. And MIDI Clock doesn't work well at tempos above 75 bpm (at 100 bpm this setup plays the piece randomly at 100 bpm or a slower tempo, and at 150 bpm it consistently plays at 67 bpm). Also, any tempo changes programmed in a piece are ignored when synced by MIDI Clock (it just plays through at the original tempo, defined on the portastudio).
Please note that Finale always plays fine when it's just using the internal PC clock for timing.
I really need Finale to use MTC for syncing as a slave to the portastudio. Is there any hope that this functionality may be added in a future Finale update?
Windows 11, Roland UM-ONE MIDI interface, Finale 27.4.1.110