glockenspiel tessitura

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tognaco
Finale Version: 2012 MAC
Operating System: Mac

Post by tognaco » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:27 am

Finally I got my Garritan instruments working (it took me a while...) and they sound nice :) but I have a problem with the glockenspiel tessitura. If I write the glockensipel part in its nomal tessitura, it doesn't sound at all, because Garritan tries to play it way higher than it is, and those extremely high sound are not included. To get it sounding in the tessitura I want, I have to write the glockenspiel part very low, specifically with the F key, as if it was a cello (??). Is there any way that I can write the glockenspiel in its normal tessitura and get it soundong? It should be something like saying to Finale: "Please, write these notes this high, but play them two octaves lower".

Thanks in advance.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:26 pm

The playback problem only occurs during note entry.
When you have entered the notes, and click the Playback button, you will hear correct playback.
This is because Finale during note entry always play back at Written Pitch (not at Concert Pitch).
Since the Written Pitch is outside the range of the Garritan samples for Glockenspiel, you do not hear anything during note entry.

For many years Finale users have requested the option of, during note entry, having playback at Concert Pitch.
Until now we have not got it.
But perhaps some day…

Ideas:

1) Instead of using Garritan, use “Play Finale Through MIDI”.
When you have finished entering the notes, you can switch to Garritan, and get the better sound from the Garritan samples.

2) Enter the notes at the lower tessitura where you get playback during note entry.
When you have finished entering, use the transposition metatool to transpose the music up to its correct level.
By default, hitting the letter 9 key will transpose selected music up by an octave.

3) Select the option “Display in Concert Pitch” (Document menu).
You can de-select “Display in Concert Pitch” when you are done.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

tognaco
Finale Version: 2012 MAC

Post by tognaco » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks for your response. In this case concert pitch is still worse, since it raises the glockenspiel part one octave higher (and obviously doesn't sound), but anyway it's an interesting thing to take into account for other works.

Andersan

Post by Andersan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:30 pm

You might get better help by asking in MakeMusic’s forum: